48 Star flag with sewn on stars-approx age?

Discussion in 'Flag Identification and Collecting' started by rspa, Apr 5, 2007.

1. rspa

rspa Guest

I recently bought a 48 star flag with individual cloth stars sewn on the blue field. It is a 3' X 5' cotton flag and it only has the remains of a label on the strip where the 2 brass eyelets are. I can't identify any manufacturer but
    wondered if anybody might tell the approxamate age by the way the stars are sewn on (not embroidered). Thanks for any help.......rspa

2. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

Stars applied to both sides of the canton was a method used during the entire history of the 48 star flag from 1912-1959. They were usually affixed by zig-zag stitching.

3. why cant i post any new threads?? ive been trying to and it keeps saying that it needs to be approved by a moderater - and there never here!!

i was trying to post about the american flag quiz ive composed if ppl what to try it and also to ask about a weird '24' star flag ive seen but neither of my posts has appeard here

4. I love to sew

I love to sew New Member

How to sew stars on an american flag?

Send me a link regarding sewing instructions. Thanks

5. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

Flagmakers today use massive embroidery machines to stitch the 50 stars onto each side of the canton for flags up to about 6x10 feet I believe. During the mid 20-th C flagmakers would place 48 stars on one side of the blue canton, then put the canton on a sheet of white fabric. The 48 stars, the blue canton, and the white backing sheed would be stitched together using ziz zag stitching on the stars. When all 48 stars were stitched, the backside would be finished by cutting out the unnecessary white materal leaving 48 stars showing on both sides.