48 Star Flag with star patch

Discussion in 'Flag Identification and Collecting' started by dfuse180, Aug 16, 2011.

1. dfuse180

dfuse180 New Member

Hi and thanks for your site. I found a flag while cleaning out my uncles basement. 48 stars and 5 x9 according to its markings so probably a funeral flag.
    It has one unique element, at least to me. The 1st star on the left of the top row is a patch sewn into the flag. Why would this have been?
    I'm hoping the pictures will link from your picture site as I hope someone can make a guess on the faded manufactures name.
    Thanks,
    Frank
    Pictures by dfuse180 - Photobucket

2. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

Frank,
    Welcome to the USA Flag Forum! The first answer is easy. That "patch" was a reinforcement of the upper hoist corner of the flag - the area that suffers the most stress when flying. It was part of the original flag and was not added later. There should be a similar reinforcement on the bottom red stripe.

Unfortunately I cannot answer the second question as the name is too indistinct and I don't recognize the pattern of the label.

Here's the answer to a question you did not ask. The flag is an internment, or "casket" flag used in military funerals. Now you need to ask family members which one of your relatives earned that honor.

Regards,
    Nick A
    Columbia Maryland

3. csaanv

csaanv Member

Hi Frank,
    Another term for the patch is gusset. They are still required on some government contract made flags, although today's cotton interment flags no longer have them. Unlike your flag the newer GI nylon flags have embroidered stars so they have reduced the size of the top gusset as not to touch the top star. This is no doubt a cost factor to avoid inserting extra material and then embroider a single star on top of it. Today star fields are mass produced and all done by an automated machine. While the stars on your flag were machine sewn at least they were placed there by human hands.
    Cheers,
    Mike

4. csaanv

csaanv Member

Could the company be Collegeville Flag of Collegeville, PA?

5. coasterville

coasterville Member

While not a 48 star flag, I recently took advantage of a Black Friday deal and bought myself one of those formal presentation flag sets. You know the kind: base, tall pole, big eagle ornament, flag, tassels the whole bit.

Anyway, I just noticed the flag on it has reinforcement patches on the fly end corners. Interesting as it is a fringed flag with a pole sleeve so not really the mind of flag you would subject to high stress conditions. It is a cotton flag, which is a nice touch and adds beauty and textural appeal to the set. No reinforcementon the hoist end, but then you do have the sleeve.

Note those big fancy sets look a lot bigger in your house than they do in the lobby of public buildings. :)

6. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

Do you have a "ding" in your ceiling resulting from this surprise discovery?

7. coasterville

coasterville Member

Well I have an 8' ceiling. So I thought 7' gives me a foot to play with. Not so much after adding the finial and needing room to insert or remove the staff from the stand. It fits, but just barely.

That said, it looks GREAT!