48 Star Flag

Discussion in 'Flag Identification and Collecting' started by mommy2triplets, Jan 3, 2011.

1. mommy2triplets

mommy2triplets New Member

I was given a 48 star flag many years ago, and I am wondering if anyone knows the approx. Value and Age. Or any information at all about it.
    Unfortunatly I have no history on it.

Size: 5x9.5
    Brass Grommets
    individually sewn stripes and stars.
    reinforced corners
    Cotton

This is what it says
    VALLEY FORGE FLAG CO. SPRING CITY, PENNA
    5 X 91/2 FT COTTON

What I do know is that it was roughly made around WWII
    It may be a Casket flag.
    But what sticks out to me is that it Reads PENNA instead of PA.
    Not sure if that means anything?

Thank you so much for any help.

2. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

Re: Please Help

48 Star casket flags are fairly common as they were usually carefully preserved in loving memory of the fallen soldier. Today their retail value ranges from $25 to $100 and it just depends on how much or how little you are willing to accept for it, were you to put it up for sale. Valley Forge has been making flags, including casket flags, for decades and it does not matter much whether the flag was made in the 30's 40's or 50's. IF the flag was World War II vintage and came in the original box from the Veteran's Administration with info on the soldier whose casket it covered it would be worth $100 to $200

Nick

3. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

All,

I took the liberty of moving this thread to the "Flag Identification and Collecting" section, with a temporary redirect in the old location. I also changed the name of the thread to "48 Star Flag" so that others interested in similar topics can find it more easily.

Sorry for the interruption . . .

Peter Ansoff
    Forum Admin