48 Star WWI - Need Label Info

Discussion in 'Flag Identification and Collecting' started by xGROMx, May 29, 2011.

1. xGROMx

xGROMx New Member

I have found a 48 star flag that I do believe to be a WWI flag due to the stripe and star detail.

On the white strip on the left there is a ink stamped "U.S. ENS 10".

What dose this represent?

Can post a picture if needed.

2. csaanv

csaanv Member

Hi xGROMx,
    What you have is a naval ensign size number 10, (about 3' x 5') which was the way the U.S. Navy standardized their flags. From the Naval Historical Center website:
    "By the early 1900s, the U.S. Navy standardized the sizes of flags available for use. Each size was denoted by a number, and keyed to specified dimensions. This allowed manufacturers to have consistent sizes for each situation".
    See chart below. Please by all means post a picture as it would be helpful identifying the age of the flag.
    Screen shot 2011-05-29 at 9.33.40 AM.jpg

3. xGROMx

xGROMx New Member

Thanks for the hasty reply. I shortly after posting this found a thread explaining the same, and it makes clear since, I guess I was just wanting it to tell me more. The flag was found in an old General Store before it was burned down by the fire department as training. It looks as if it was sitting on the shelf of the store for some years, its in the proccess of getting framed along with two WW1 posters I have.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. csaanv

csaanv Member

Hi again,
    I don't have any documentation to back up my analysis but I would say that it is closer to WWII than WWI. The four grommets on the hoist are found on ensigns of the WWII era. I have about 6 of them myself. Actually I have one exactly like your photo, ensign No.10 confirmed to be from WWII. The Valley Forge Flag company among others made numerous flags of this type under contract during the War. I have never seen any of this type with 4 grommets from WWI. Maybe someone can prove me wrong. It looks a bit chewed up by moths but still it is worth more that a typical 48 star flag since it was a government issue. Is the bottom stripe folded under or has been repaired?

5. csaanv

csaanv Member

xGROMX,
    Note the 4 grommets even on the small ensign No. 12
    ensign_10a.jpg ensign_10b.jpg

ensign_12a.jpg ensign_12b.jpg

6. csaanv

csaanv Member

More examples:

ensignVF_12b.jpg Note the flag header is very similar to yours.

ensign_9a.jpg ensign_9b.jpg
    ensign_11a.jpg ensign_11b.jpg Reads: U.S. ENS 11