49 Star 2x10' US American Flag Banner With 3 Large Stripes? Not Sure What I have here. Help Please.

Discussion in 'Flag Identification and Collecting' started by mball68, Aug 17, 2014.

1. mball68

mball68 New Member

Hello all, I am an estate sale picker and have come across an item that has me a bit perplexed. I purchased this "flag" at an estate sale. I was looked at it quickly and identified the correct 49 star layout from 1959. I went ahead and bid on it and won the auction. I just went to look at it today and noticed that it was not actually a normal flag. It does appear to purposely been made to be what it is and is not altered from a regular flag. It is all cotton with 8" sewn stripes. The blue star field is all one piece and not embroidered. There are two identitcal grommets on each end of the blue field. There is a white tag on the end marked. "100% Cotton RN 2403I". I had actually assumed it was a funeral flag when I purchased it. reducesize2.jpg I would appreciate any help on identifying this item. Thanks in advance.

2. APS221

APS221 Member

It looks like a "pulldown" (also written as "pull down"). They're 2' to 3' wide and 9' to 10' long. They're meant to be displayed vertically.

3. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

I was also going to suggest that it's a "pulldown", which you have hung correctly in the picture. Notice how all the stars have a single point "up" that way?

Nice find!!!

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.