49 star flag - embroidered stars?

Discussion in 'Flag Identification and Collecting' started by coasterville, Jan 16, 2013.

1. coasterville

coasterville Member

Well, I acquired yet another flag. This one is a 49 star US flag. What I first noticed when I took it out of its box and plastic wrap, is that the stars are embroidered. I thought sewn on or appliqué stars were still the rule in 1959.

Flag header says it is Jupiter brand, box says American Flag and Banner in New Jersey. Flag itself is cotton header is a big thinner than most, and the fly end is only double not quad stitched.

Im wondering if this sounds consistent with a 1959 vintage flag, or might it be a more modern production.

2. csaanv

csaanv Member

I think some flag companies were experimenting with embroidered stars in the 1950s or maybe before. I had a 48 star flag that was embroidered. I don't think the machinery was perfected enough to totally switch over until the 1960s and 1970s. What sounds strange about your flag is that it was in plastic wrap? Was that from seller or from the flag compay?

3. coasterville

coasterville Member

Well, the box does say Jupiter Brand heavy cotton sheeting. So I know the flag and box match. Can't really say about the plastic. The flag was in the box in plastic but of course not sealed. The bag may have been something somebody added over time to try to help preserve the flag.

4. coasterville

coasterville Member

While on the subject of stars. I was on the Annin website recently and was looking at their old newsletters. Ok 2011 or 2012 vintage. Anyway, it mentioned the fact they are going from Appliqué stars to embroidered stars for their Star Spangled Banner. They had a photo of the flag, and also being changed is they are going from "dancing" stars like my Bulldog model to regular straight rows of stars.

Glad I got that one when I did. Might be so they can lower its price from mid $50s to something more in the low $40s like their other historical patterns.

I now also have that one from Dettra and it has appliqué non dancing stars.

5. csaanv

csaanv Member

Wow, I didn't know that. I am surprised Annin has not started "printing"/"dyeing" all their smaller flags. Not in your wildest dreams will Annin lower their prices. Profit is the bottom line for them. You were very wise to buy those flags when you did. I have a nylon appliqué Valley Forge dancing star SSB and an cotton appliqué non dancing star Annin SSB. When you get time could you post your new flag?
    Cheers,
    mike

6. coasterville

coasterville Member

I will sometime this weekend. I'll try to get an overall, a detail of the stars, a detail of the header label and a shot of the box. I had discarded the plastic with the packing materials. plastic wrap the flag was in (inside the box) does not appear to be torn, so I'm guessing it was some preservation measure.

I was wondering if anybody actually looks at my photos.

Did you happen to look at the "Dave goes nuts any buys a flag collection" thread. Some cool stuff in there.

Annin SSB news is on last page of this newsletter: http://www.annin.com/downloads/NL_Annin_Advantage_1108.pdf

7. coasterville

coasterville Member

I will sometime this weekend. I'll try to get an overall, a detail of the stars, a detail of the header label and a shot of the box. I had discarded the plastic with the packing materials. plastic wrap the flag was in (inside the box) does not appear to be torn, so I'm guessing it was some preservation measure.

I was wondering if anybody actually looks at my photos.

Did you happen to look at the "Dave goes nuts any buys a flag collection" thread. Some cool stuff in there.

Annin SSB news is on last page of this newsletter: http://www.annin.com/downloads/NL_Annin_Advantage_1108.pdf

8. csaanv

csaanv Member

Thanks for the link to the Annin article, I was looking for it and couldn't find it. As I was reading it I was getting the feeling they (Annin) were proud and that this was an improvement over the previous old fashion appliquéd SSB. Then I realize the newsletter was written for re-sellers! Yes, I have looked at the Dave collection a few times. What a great deal! If you ever want to sell your Stars & Bars let me know. Annin switched to dyeing those too!

9. coasterville

coasterville Member

012713 004.jpg 012713 005.jpg 012713 009.jpg

Ok this site suddenly hates Flickr, and me and the built uploader do NOT get along.

But here let me try again: