5 Star Adm of Fleet flag.

Discussion in 'Flag Identification and Collecting' started by Anolen, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Anolen

Anolen New Member

I'm not sure if I am doing this correctly, but I am trying to find info about this flag.
    It is 42" x 62". Navy blue with white stars. Grommets are aluminum or steel.
    On the white edge, I believe it says: ADM OF FLEET SET G MI 47
    20190127_213009.jpg 20190127_213239.jpg

2. Dexter Cole

Dexter Cole Member

Great flag. The "MI" means Mare Island, a place here in California where they made flags for decades. It's a Navy base too. The "47" refers to the date of manufacture meaning 1947. The rest is clear. The grommets are zinc. They used zinc so that brass could be used for shells etc during the war. Obviously they were using old stock for this flag. Again great flag.

3. Anolen

Anolen New Member

Thank you for the info. I appreciate the help. Now I need to find out what SET G means.

4. Dexter Cole

Dexter Cole Member

This I am less sure of so hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in. But if I have to make an educated GUESS I would say that set G refers to a series of flags particular to the person coming onto the ship. They would have a presidents flag on down to the various levels of Admiral. Just speculating.

5. Sarkari update

Sarkari update New Member

Great flag. The "MI" means Mare Island, a place here in California where they made flags for decades. It's a Navy base too. The "47" refers to the date of manufacture meaning 1947.