50 star Annin flag

Discussion in 'Flag Identification and Collecting' started by Catherine, Apr 2, 2016.

1. Catherine

Catherine New Member

This is my first post and I tried to search around to see if my question was answered but I'm not very good at navigating sites like this!

Anyways, excuse me if this is an obvious question.... I recently picked up this 50 star Annin flag. I'm curious of its date. I'm not concerned about its value but am just curious as to when this may have been manufactured. The label reads "Annin Defiance Cotton Bunting. Two ply moth proof."
    It's stars are sewn on (not printed or embroidered, I don't think).
    Does anyone have any insight for me or point me in the right direction to date this flag? Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Hello, Catherine!

Welcome to the USA-FLAG-SITE Forum!

First of all, I am NOT an "Expert". Having gotten THAT out of the way, it looks to me (I'm guessing) that your 50-Star U.S. Flag might be from the early 1960's. I base my "guess" based on the following observations and "remembrances":

1. The "Reliance" model is one of Annin's oldest ones, and the Annin "tag" is one of their older ones, but I do NOT know the exact period of when they used that particular style. The font (typeface) appears to be an "old-timey" (traditional) one. As far as I know, Annin did not, and has NOT noted or kept track of what labels/tags they've used over the years, or when they were used. I have seen older Annin Flags that were rubber-stamped or stenciled using only black ink to ID them as Annin flags. Currently, with only a few exceptions, Annin has been using two (Red & Blue) and three (Red, Blue, & Black) inks to print their logo and flag info on the headers of their flags that have a canvas head strip and grommets (like yours does).

2. Most of the older (1950's & 1960's, and earlier) American-made U.S. Flags I've seen (including photos) have had the Stars sewn-on ("appliqued"). I don't remember when the Stars started being embroidered on (instead of appliqued), but I think it really didn't "catch on" until the late 1960's, or early 1970's. Again, please note that I am NOT an expert!

Hopefully, one of our resident experts will see your thread here and will be able to shed more light on the subject! There are some of our members who have been collecting Flags for many years and will probably have a much better knowledge of Annin's history than I do.

Thank you for bringing your Flag-related question to our forum!

Robin Hickman
    "Your Friendly Neighborhood Flag Man"
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.

3. Catherine

Catherine New Member

Thank you Robin! Sorry for the WAY late reply. I am getting ready to move and I can't wait to display my flag in my new house. Thanks for your info! :)

4. Robin Hickman

Welcome back, Catherine!

My best guess is that your Annin "Defiance" 50-Star Flag is, indeed, from the early 1960's. Probably 1960 to 1965, or so. Good Lookin' Flag!

Cotton Flags, as a rule, don't last very long when being flown continuously, especially in "bad" weather. Hopefully, you have (or will get) a good quality sewn & embroidered nylon or polyester U.S. Flag that you can fly on a daily basis, and save your "special" vintage (50 years old) Flag for "special" days!

Good Luck with your move! Please post a picture or two of your "old" Flag flying at your "new" home!

Robin Hickman
    "Your Friendly Neighborhood Flag Man"
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.

5. Catherine

Catherine New Member

Oh I will actually be hanging it on the wall indoors. :)

6. Robin Hickman

Oh, I see! OK, then!

Robin Hickman