52 Star Flag???

Discussion in 'Flag Identification and Collecting' started by Paul ODonnell, Nov 12, 2015.

1. Paul ODonnell

Paul ODonnell New Member

Hi,

I recently bought a large flag at an estate sale without realizing it has 52 stars. It is apx. 9 by 17 feet, is sewn well, and made of a light cotton weave (I think it's cotton). It is in great condition with a couple small holes smaller than the tip of your little finger.

Any ideas where this flag is from? Thoughts about value? We want to sell it.

Thanks for any insights. Paul

2. MAFlagger

MAFlagger New Member

Perhaps the confusion is that in some national competitions (Miss America springs to mind) there are 52 contestants, one for each state plus one for the District of Columbia and one for Puerto Rico, which is actually a commonwealth, not a state.

3. AmericaHurrah

AmericaHurrah Member

There were also some odd star counts like this produced in the 1960's to promote the statehood of Guam, Puerto Rico, The Philippines, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc. I have owned (2) 51 star versions made to support a political faction in Puerto Rico that supported statehood. I have owned many 52 star copies of a jacket decal with the stars arranged in a peace symbol, def. 60's 70's vintage, and I have seen both 53 and 54 star examples, and a 56 I think. Human error could sometimes explain the unexplainable as well.