69th Regiment NYSV, Irish Brigade, Civil War Flag

Discussion in 'Flag Identification and Collecting' started by Rachel--DAG, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Rachel--DAG

Rachel--DAG New Member

A consignor recently brought in a 69th Regiment, New York State Volunteers, flag (see attached images), and we are unsure of its value and significance. It measures approximately 83”H x 87”W. I have turned up a considerable amount of information regarding the regiment, especially during the Civil War, but this flag does not compare with any that I have found. It appears to be from the Civil War, based on the “Union Forever” inscription, but their organizational colors at the time were not this extravagant. Those of us involved with the flag suspect it might have hung in the 69th Regiment’s Armory, but have no research to support this.

I would appreciate any information you can provide regarding the flag.

Attached Files:

2. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Greetings, Rachel -- welcome to the forum!

Just on a first impression, I'd be inclined to agree with your assessment. The piece is clearly intended to be displayed vertically, with the fringe at the bottom and the tassels at the upper corners, which suggests that it was intended as a wall hanging rather than unit colors. Do you have any way to determine if it is one or two sided? It's certainly a beautiful piece in any case, and it looks like it's in pretty good condition.

We have a number of folks here in the forum who are much more knowledgeable about textile assessment and such than I am, and I hope some of them will chime in.

3. Rachel--DAG

Rachel--DAG New Member

Peter,

Thank you for replying!

Unfortunately, it would be a huge undertaking to remove the frame to see the back. We have to rely only on what we can see.

4. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

While I agree with Peter's assessment that the item is currently in the form of a banner, it will be important to determine if the green field with the central emblem is contemporary with the border and fringe, or if it is indeed an earlier remnant of a Civil War period flag. It may have been a battle flag that was in preparation for presentation to the troops during the war but remained unissued. At some later time that green flag was incorporated into the current banner format, perhaps to reinforce and/or support the older textile. I am not sure how much more you can learn from the flag without a physical analysis of materials, including sewing threads, paint, and fabric materials from both the flag and the border.

Good Luek

5. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Hello, Rachel--DAG !

I know nothing, absolutely nothing, about your Flag/Banner. I just wanted to say that I think that it is one BEAUTIFUL Flag/Banner!

Simply Beautiful!

Good Luck!

Robin Hickman
    "Your Friendly Neighborhood Flag Man"
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.

6. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Excellent point, Nick -- it sure looks like the central green panel might have been separate from the surrounding boarder and decorations. It appears to be made of a different material (silk?) and is some what wrinkled compared to the border.

I was intrigued by one minor detail of the imagery on the banner -- the belt and buckle at the bottom of the scroll. I'm guessing that it was copied from the similar buckle on the British royal arms. On the latter, the buckle is part of the Garter, which encircles the arms and contains the motto of the Order, "Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense." Here, it seem to have been stuck in without any apparent connection to the rest of the design.