9 Star American flag

Discussion in 'American Flag History' started by EmailPoster, Jun 6, 2006.

1. EmailPoster

EmailPoster New Member

Great site...

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2006
  2. sarahw

sarahw Guest

Lee,

Thanks for the kudos!

The flag you saw was probably just a decoration. There's never been an official nine-star flag because there have never been only nine states. If anyone else knows a secret meaning behind this, let us know, but I think it was just a lazy artist. :)

Sarah

3. Rob L

Rob L Guest

Although there was never an official nine star flag, a small number of 7, 8 and 9 star Star and Stripes flags were made during the Civil War. Jeff Bridgeman has a couple on his website.

Rob L

4. susanl

susanl Guest

Would you know anything about a very small old collar button with 9 stars, no maker's mark, looks like copper with enamel red, white and blue?

5. aylinistanbl

aylinistanbl Guest

Arkadaslar ltf yardim.

Arkadaslar, ben yeni bir uyeyim burada. Insallah beni araniza kabul edersiniz. Icinizde bana tavsiye edebileceginiz bir forum barindirma url verebilecek varmi? En onemlisi turkce desteginin olmasi tabiiki, cunku ingilizcem yok denecek kadar az. Birde uzun zaman piyasada olsunki gelecegi saglam olsun. Ingilizce hosting veren birkac yerden denedim ama yarisi beni anlamiyor, digerlerinide ben anlamiyorum, ayrica birkac taneside kisa bir sure sonra piyasadan cekildiler. Bana onerebileceginiz hangi adresler var? Birkac ozelliginide sayarmisiniz ltf? Iyi sohbetler Ayln

6. try using english and we might be able to help u.... what language is that anyway?

7. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Turkish?

Based on Ayln's user name, I'll guess that he/she is from Istanbul, Turkey.

By the way, Turkey has a beautiful flag -- we flew it last Saturday for Ataturk Youth and Sports Day. The name of this Turkish holiday is somewhat misleading. It actually commemorates the start of the Turkish War of Independence in 1919.

Peter Ansoff

8. Jim Deery

Jim Deery New Member

A 9 Star flag does indeed exist since I have one in my collection. New Hampshire was the 9th province to attain statehood in 1778. The 9 star flag was issued in 1878 to commerate the event. These flags are considered rare

9. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

New Hampshire was the 9th province to attain statehood in 1778

New Hampshire actually ratified the Constitution on 21 June 1788. This was an important milestone, because the Convention had specified that 9 ratifications were needed to bring the Constitution into effect.

Of course, New Hampshire was a state long before the Constitution was ratified. The 13 colonies became states in 1776, when the Declaration of Independence was approved by the Continental Congress. (Actually, it was more complicated than that, because a few of the states had individually declared independence from Britain before then.)

Peter Ansoff

10. todd

todd New Member

i do pool service for a billionaire who shall remain unnamed. he has 2 very old flags that have been authenticated by a company in california. i need history! 1 is a 9 star american flag with 3 stripes- 2 red 1white. the other is not important but is a british flag. any info and photos are appreciated . thanks

11. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Hey, Todd ! :D

Welcome to the USA-Flag-Site Forums !

Does your boss' ("billionaire who shall remain un-named") 9-Star/3-Stripe Flag look anything like THIS ??? :eek: :

CSA-1stFlag-9Stars.jpg

Just Wondering..... :rolleyes:

Robin "Do You Have One Of Those With 7, Or 11, Or Maybe 13 Stars?" Hickman

12. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

If the flags have been "authenticated" just look and see what the authentication form calls them !!!

No one can authenticate (or debunk) a flag unless they know what the flag is supposed to be in the first place. If the authentication form does not tell you what the flag is, your boss got ripped off by the authentication service.

I agree with Robin that the 9 star flag may be the first national flag of the CSA but more information is needed.

Nick

13. Steven Eaton

Steven Eaton New Member

I also have a 9 star US flag. I'd like to know if it is rare or collectable.[​IMG]