A common practice?

Discussion in 'American Flag Disposal' started by KABAR2, Jun 9, 2013.

1. KABAR2

KABAR2 New Member

Someone I know mentioned he had a couple of flags needing to be disposed of and that he was taking them
    to a local funeral home they send them off with a veteran who was to be cremated.... ever hear of this before?

2. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

This is the first I have heard of this practice. Boy Scouts and Veterans' organizations often collect worn flags for disposal, but I suppose that by including the flags with the remains of a veteran to be cremated you are adding honor to the last moments of both.
    Nick A
    Columbia Maryland

3. APS221

APS221 Member

4. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

Apparently this concept is catching on. According to the referenced article, “A funeral home in South Carolina started their program two years ago, and within the first eight months, they received 2,500 flagsâ€￾

Thank you for bringing this practice to our attention.

Nick
    Columbia Maryland

5. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Hello, KABAR2 !

Welcome to the USA-FLAG-SITE Forums!

I have never heard of this before, At first glance, I didn't think it was such a great idea unless the flag was the veteran's burial/interment Flag. Then, I had a "D'oh!" (slap forehead) moment when I realized that Veterans' interment Flags are given to the next of kin and NOT buried/cremated with the Veterans. Count me "in" as one who believes that it is a very thoughtful idea!

Thank you!

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA

6. APS221

APS221 Member

7. James Hunter

James Hunter New Member

I also have heard that The Boy scouts of America an Veteran's Legions accept any old flags. They usually will burn the flags in a flag burning ceremony which is usually help on Flag Day which is celebrated on June 14th every year which happens to be today! We also accept old flags at our retail store Flag-Works Over American and will bring the flags to our local Veteran's Legions.

www.flag-works.com

8. APS221

APS221 Member

9. APS221

APS221 Member