A Few From My Collection

Discussion in 'Flag Identification and Collecting' started by David Wagner, May 21, 2018.

1. David Wagner

David Wagner Member

Hello All,

I've followed this site for many years and thought I would post a few photos of some of my own favorites. Most of these are not valuable or particularly rare. I frame and enjoy them because they are beautiful. I always frame on black velvet with a gold frame and museum glass. Most of these are from Ebay over the years but I have found a few at antique stores or other auction houses too. I have made earlier posts on this forum about a few of these specific flags. I've gotten a lot of great feedback and have always appreciated your responses. It's a great hobby but selfishly I wish there were fewer collectors out there. Happy hunting.

49-Star Flag
    [​IMG]

48-Star Flag
    [​IMG]

37 Star Flags
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

19-Star & 8 Stripe Exclusionary Flag
    [​IMG]

13-Star Flag
    [​IMG]

Yacht Ensign
    [​IMG]

2. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

…..
    WOWSERS !!!

…..

3. FoxValleyMike

FoxValleyMike Member

Very cool display. I can't decide if i like the Exclusionary Flag or the 37 star flag more. I Starting to become partial to the dancing star field design.

The entire display looks great though!

4. Dexter Cole

Dexter Cole New Member

Great work, I love the framing. Did you do it or have it done?

I've been making my own frames due to cost, size, depth needed, and cost. Did I mention cost? Anyway I have several framed in an upstairs hall, out of sunlight.

5. David Wagner

David Wagner Member

Hello Dexter - I appreciate the kind words. Thank you. I do not frame them myself and yes - framing is shockingly expensive. I've had my last 10 flags all done at the same framing shop where I've grown very confident with their work. My framed 49 star, 48 star, and yacht ensign all cost more to frame than I paid for the flag. That isn't smart, but I think they are beautiful and I wanted to display them. My long-term collection goal is to have at least one framed flag from every post-Civil War star count. It's been hard recently to pass up some very nice flags where I already owned at least one. Pre-Civil War flags would be nice too but the cost of those flags goes up exponentially. Unfortunately my budget - and wife's approval - only goes so far.

I have recently added a couple more to my collection that aren't US flags but I thought they were nice additions.

WWI Victory Pennant
    [​IMG]

US Revenue Cutter Services
    [​IMG]

Robin Hickman likes this.
  6. Dexter Cole

Dexter Cole New Member

Thanks, again they are very nice flags. I fear that so many collectors have great pieces that are rolled and folded in their safe and are never really appreciated the way that you can. I didn't want to do that so I started to make the frames myself and if they needed to be folded due to their size, they are really rolled over a one inch piece of batting to prevent sharp edges and ultimately damage. I can also switch flags easily if I want to let something else beathe. I'll try and find a photo.

7. Dexter Cole

Dexter Cole New Member

This is one, a 42 star where six stars were added along the lower row and then two more to make 50.

Attached Files:

8. kirshmed

kirshmed New Member

Did you recently get that victory flag on eBay? Looks familiar from my collection. Just sold one!

9. David Wagner

David Wagner Member

Kirshmed - I did! Purchased it back in April. I don't usually go for pennants but I really liked it and thought it would be a nice change. Thank you for selling - it looks awesome framed. I tried finding more information about it and found another similar pennant on a google search but that one had a lot more wear. I think you listed it as WWII vintage. The other one I found claimed WWI. If you have any more info I would love to know.

Dexter - that is a great frame you made. The one thing I miss about framing them is the ability to take them out on occasion. It sounds like you found great a solution for that. I limit myself now to flags that are a frame-able size. I learned my lesson with the 37 star. The frame on that one is about 8' wide by 5' high. It's a fantastic display piece, but the cost of a frame gave me sticker-shock. The 19 star exclusionary flag was even larger so I hung it vertically and fold it into thirds. The frame is still around 5' wide by 3' high.

I agree with Dexter's comment that it is just a shame when cool flags aren't seen. I work at an apparel embroidery and screenprinting company. That is actually why I started collecting. I was home in Maine visiting the State Museum and walked through the Civil War flag collection. I found myself looking at every one saying "I know how they did that..." I currently have 9 framed flags hanging in my work office. I have used the flags as examples many times to show customers some embroidery or printing technique. A lot of people find it very cool when my example is on a hundred year old flag. Most Americans don't even think about the fact that the USA grew from 13 to 50 stars and the flag had so many changes along the way. It really is an awesome thing to collect.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018