A seven Star flag with 13 stripes

Discussion in 'Flag Identification and Collecting' started by dw06100, Jan 11, 2009.

1. dw06100

dw06100 New Member

My mother in law found a 7 star (six in a circle and one in the middle) there are 13 stripes...All we know of it, it was retrieved from her fathers belongings in an old trunk. It is approx 4" x 6" on a wooden rod approx 12" long. I has been in the family for many years. We know that it is from around the late 1800's. We know not much more about it.. can anyone shed some light on it for us to tell us from what era, what it was used for, etc. Is it of historical value?

Mark Lamberson
    Council Grove, Ks
    mk_1985@tctelco.net

2. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

This was a common pattern for cheaply printed flags made for children in the 1870's to 1890's era. Some people make up a story that the seven stars imply that the flag was made for "Confederate Sympathizers" and have sold them for a couple of hundred dollars or more on eBay but this is just B.S. in my opinion (I have been collecting antique USA flags for nearly 40 years and I have a half-dozen 7-star flags that you are more than welcome to buy for $200 each!!.)

3. Jim Deery

Jim Deery New Member

The 7 star flags were made to commerate the first wave of Confederate States that seceded from the Union on Feb 4, 1861. There are 6 stars in a circle and and 1 star in the center (representing Texas)

4. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

To Jim Deery: What is your 19th Century source of information for the 7 stars representing the first 7 states of the CSA?

5. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

Forum members: The point I wanted to make was that a 13 star flag with only seven stars is not a confederate flag, or a flag of confederate sympathizers. It is just a little flag with only 7 stars. I have some with 8 stars as well. They just made the flag this way because it was such a small flag they only used a few stars so they would be visible as stars and not just a bunch of little white dots.