A Simple Veterans Memorial

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Flag Discussion' started by FlagAdvocate, Jun 15, 2017.

1. FlagAdvocate

FlagAdvocate Member

View attachment 2004
    I recently visited this newly dedicated Veterans Grove Memorial in Old Lycoming Township, Lycoming County, Pennsylvania on Memorial Day 2017. A simple memorial consisting of this field of small American flags on a grassy slope, and at the top, the image of a kneeling soldier flanked by the the insignia of the five military service organizations. On the one hand I was impressed with the solemn simplicity of this tribute. On the other hand I was disappointed that apparently no one involved was aware that the military service insignia are displayed out of order. According to the Department of Defense Directive 1005.8 the correct order (from left to right) should be US Army, US Marine Corps, US Navy, US Air Force, and US Coast Guard. I left a note recommending the appropriate change, but it was either ignored or removed because the arrangement remains as it was on Memorial Day.

2. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

A silly question, I know... But... They look like simple, little garden Flags... So... If they are... Couldn't you just sneak up and pull up & swap the USMC & USN Flag placements?

Just Wondering . . . (Tee-Hee!)

Robin

3. FlagAdvocate

FlagAdvocate Member

View attachment 2013
    As I rode by the Veterans Grove Memorial today, I noticed the military service "flags" have been re-arranged to comply with DOD Directive 1005.8 so I stopped and took a photo. Looks good!

4. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

I'm familiar with the rationale for giving the Marines priority over the Navy, although I think it's an after-the-fact rationalization by the former. However, I don't know the scenario whereby the Air Force is senior to the Coast Guard. The Air Force was created in 1947, and its ultimate ancestor was the Aeronautical Division of the Army Signal Corps, created in 1907. The Coast Guard was created in 1915, and its oldest ancestor was the Revenue Cutter Service (1790). Does it have to do with the fact that the CG's mission has civilian as well as military components?

5. FlagAdvocate

FlagAdvocate Member

Peter, it is my understanding that in peace time the Coast Guard is under the Department of Homeland Security, while the four other military services are under the Department of Defense. Therefore currently the Coast Guard is positioned after the Air Force in the Department of Defense Directive 1005.8

If war were declared, the Coast Guard would come under the Department of Defense and its colors and insignia would be ahead of the Air Force in the Armed Forces Order of Precedence.
    See the YouTube video produced by the Colonial Flag Foundation and narrated by John Hartvigsen, US Army veteran and NAVA member. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=order+of+military+flag

The Military Salute Project suggests another reason. See the attached PDF file.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017