American Flag and Gadsden Flag question

Discussion in 'American Flag History' started by shadowq2, Mar 21, 2008.

1. shadowq2

shadowq2 New Member

Hello everyone.

I've looked up the flag rules and regulations and have found no mention of this anywhere, but I thought I'd ask if it is acceptable to fly a Gadsden flag (.."Don't tread on me"..) flag below the American flag? or is it acceptable only to fly this wonderful flag on the fourth of July?

Thanks,
    -Josh

2. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Hi, Josh!

thought I'd ask if it is acceptable to fly a Gadsden flag (.."Don't tread on me"..) flag below the American flag? or is it acceptable only to fly this wonderful flag on the fourth of July?

You can fly it any time you want, either by itself, under the American flag or beside the American flag on a separate pole. If you fly them side by side, the American flag should be on its own right (on the left as seen by an observer).

The "Gadsden Flag" is very famous and popular, but we really don't know exactly what it looked like. There are two or three written descriptions of it from the Revolutionary War era, but no pictures or actual examples. The replicas that are sold today are just someone's best guess. As far as we know, only two were ever made during the Revolution: the one that Colonel Gadsden presented to the South Carolina Congress, and the one that Commodore Hopkins flew as his standard.

Peter Ansoff

3. shadowq2

shadowq2 New Member

Thanks a lot for your reply. :)

4. MarineVet

MarineVet New Member

I have a question along the same lines. On my flag pole I have the National Ensign the Gadsden flag and the Marine Corps flag hanging in that order. A fwllow Marine told me that the Marine Corp flag ahould be above the Gadsden. I diagree. Can we get some help on this?

5. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Greetings, Marine Vet -- welcome to the forum!

On my flag pole I have the National Ensign the Gadsden flag and the Marine Corps flag hanging in that order. A fwllow Marine told me that the Marine Corp flag should be above the Gadsden.

This situation is not precisely addressed in either military regs or the civilian Flag Code. However, I believe I would agree with your friend that the USMC flag should be above the Gadsden flag. The general sense of the military's regs is that flag precedence is related to the entity that the flag represents. The USMC flag obviously represents the Marine Corps, which is subordinate to the nation represented by the National Flag. The Gadsden flag does not represent any actual organization, and never did -- the closest it ever came was that it was the standard flown by Commodore Hopkins' naval squadron in 1775-76. By that reasoning, the USMC flag should take precedence over the Gadsden flag. Again, just my personal interpretation -- as far as I know there is nothing official that addresses this issue precisely.

Semper Fi,

Peter Ansoff