American Flag displayed in foreign country

Discussion in 'US Flag Display' started by chelmac1, Jul 25, 2006.

1. chelmac1

chelmac1 Guest

What is the protocol for displaying the American Flag in a foreign country.

We live in Mexico and I see our flag both to the right and left of the Mexican Flag. What is correct?

2. Kamie M.

Kamie M. Guest

When displaying flags of two or more nations, none is to be flown above the rest.. and each should be flown from their own staff. Also, the flags should be about the same size each. In times of peace, international usage forbids the display of the flag of one nation above that of another nation.
    As far as order of placement, neither is incorrect in a foreign nation, however, it is my opinion that out of respect for the American flag, it should be placed the farthest to the flag's own right.

Kamie

3. sarahw

sarahw Guest

I've been thinking about this one, and while I can't find that Mexico has a flag code, it seems to me that in Mexico you would offer the Mexican flag similar respect to the American flag in America. So I would think it would be proper to fly the Mexican flag on its own right (or to the far left when looking at it) and the American flag next to it.

As Kamie said, though, it would be ideal to have two flag poles and display both flags at the same height. And since Mexico does not seem to have as stringent rules for flag display, either way is probably "correct."

Thanks for asking!

Sarah