American Flag Patch on Morale Patch Hat, Worn Backwards

Discussion in 'US Flags on Uniforms and Clothing' started by Jared S, Aug 29, 2016.

1. Jared S

Jared S New Member

Hello. I am new to this site. I am not a veteran but I am playing one in a web series that I am shooting. I have a buddy who is a Navy Seal that usually answers all my questions. My latest one was, would my character casually wear a morale patch hat with the US flag on the front, backwards? His answer was "some people might not like that but it does not bother me." I would like to get everything this character does with the flag as correct as possible, so I am looking for more opinions on this issue.

2. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Hello, Jared S.

Welcome to the USA-FLAG-SITE Forum!

I looks "OK" to me. Although it is a "sublimated" (subdued color somewhat matching the background) U.S. Flag, it is shown "correctly' with its Union (star field) to the viewers' left (flag's own right).

The U.S. "Flag Code" is a set of guidelines and suggestions on Flag etiquette and Protocol for us civilians. When you read through the U.S. Flag Code you'll notice that almost every Section, sub-section, and paragraph has the directive (operative word) "SHOULD" in it. "Should" such as in "The Flag should always..."; or, "The Flag should never...". That's because the "Flag Code" (for us civilians) is a set of guidelines, not "commandments". While the Flag Code covers a lot of areas, it was first written back in 1923 with a few additions, deletions, and changes since then, it can be a little confusing the first few times you check it to see if something is "OK". Just remember to try to treat the Flag with respect, and if you have any questions about whatever it is you want to do with the Flag, feel free to stop back here and start a new thread to ask your question(s)!

I hope this helps!

Good Luck!

Robin Hickman
    "Your Friendly Neighborhood Flag Man"
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.