American & German flag displayed together?

Discussion in 'US Flag Display' started by pylemj1, Jun 6, 2015.

1. pylemj1

pylemj1 New Member

We moved into a home with a double flag bracket mounted on the front of the house. A foreign exchange student from Germany will be living with us for the next school year, and we'd like to make her feel welcome. We thought we could put an American flag in the top space on the bracket and a German flag in the lower space. Is this kosher? Thanks for your help.
  2. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Hello, Pylemj1, and welcome to the USA-FLAG-SITE Forum!

When the Flags of the United States and another country are flown together, they should be of the approximate same size, and they should be flown side-by-side at the same level. When flown side-by-side, the American Flag should be to the observers' LEFT (the American Flag's own right) and the Flag of the other country should be to the observers' RIGHT (to the American Flag's own left).

You can find more on Flag "Etiquette & Protocol" by reading through the U.S. "Flag Code". Here's a link to a copy of the "Flag Code" on the website :

If I understand your entry correctly, you have a two-position flagpole bracket, with one position at an approximate 45° angle, and the second one at an approximate 90° angle. Usually two-position brackets like that are meant for only one flagpole at a time: 45° angle for a Flag on a pole, OR the 90° angle used for banners that hang down from the pole. I have never seen one where both positions were in use at the same time. Probably because the little thumb screw can only be used to secure one Flag/banner at a time.

If you have the room for it on your house, perhaps you can attach a 2nd bracket close to, and at the same level as your current one? Not real close (next) to one another, but more like on one side of the front door, or porch, and the other on the other side? That way, both Flags could be flown at the same time with out any disrespect being shown to either one.

I currently have a total of four (4) brackets across the front of my house; two on the front of the house, and two on the garage. If you want to see how I've used them in the past, and you're on Facebook, you can check my FB page and scroll down to various holidays and events to see what I've done. Whatever combination of Flags I've flown I have always tried to fly & display my Flags in a respectful manner.

MY Facebook Page :

I hope I was able to answer your question. If not, or you have any other Flag-related questions, feel free to ask!

Thank you for bringing your Flag-related question to our Forum!

Robin Hickman
    "Your Friendly Neighborhood Flag Man"
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.