American/NJ Flag History Help

Discussion in 'American Flag History' started by Liberty Hall, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Liberty Hall

Liberty Hall New Member

In our collection at the museum we have an American flag which has the State Seal of NJ sewn onto the canton along with a circle of stars around the seal and then four three star "triangles" in each corner making it a 45 star flag. The seal looks to be hand drawn with pencil and then painted. The fabric, which is a light burlap or cotton, is the same fabric used for the stars. The seal and stars look to be professionally sewn onto the canton. The seal has been sewn on in two pieces and is sewn to the front and back of canton, along with the stars. The flag is 13 x 25. Overall good condition, some holes We have contacted the NJ State Museum which has given us some historical context but we wanted to know if anyone else had some information on the flag or what it could symbolize. Thank You!

2. csaanv

csaanv Member

Would you be able to share a photo of the flag with us?

3. Liberty Hall

Liberty Hall New Member

I had tried to attach one the 1st time but it was too large.
    I'll have to figure out how to make it smaller to attach but I will! Thanks!

4. APS221

APS221 Member

I looked online and came across the website of the National Guard Militia Museum of New Jersey.
    New Jersey Department of Military and Veterans Affairs – National Guard Militia Museum of NJ
    On the website, they have a large collection of flags from New Jersey regiments. Some of the flags are similar to the flag you have described, they have the New Jersey State Seal in the canton surrounded by stars. The flags from Civil War regiments have 34 stars, which would indicate they were created after the admission of Kansas in 1861. A flag with 45 stars would seem to indicate it was created in the late 1890s after the admission of Utah. You can contact them, and they might be able to provide more information for you.

5. csaanv

csaanv Member

Liberty Hall,
    Hi, welcome! If you want to shoot me an email with the photos I can prep them and upload them for you. My email is emmalpass(at)yahoo(dot)com.

6. Liberty Hall

Liberty Hall New Member

Thanks APS221 for your comment. I will have to look into that.
    According the NJ State Museum, they indicted that with the 45 stars, it was at a time that there was a lot of state pride and Worlds Fairs taking place that this might be a reflection of that.
    Flag.jpg
    Here is the canton...figured it out finally!