American Revolution Bicentennial Flag

Discussion in 'Flag Identification and Collecting' started by Michael Adams, Apr 26, 2015.

1. Michael Adams

Michael Adams New Member

I recently recieved this flag that is documented to have flown in a Sr-71 on 3-11-76. I've got the paper work and the flag is in excellent condition. Anyone got any info or thoughts? I'm not sure what I've got here. Thanks
  2. Michael Adams

Michael Adams New Member

3. Michael Adams

Michael Adams New Member

Thanks for the many looks folks. Still have any idea what I've got
  4. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Hello, Michael Adams!

Thank you for your patience!

I apologize for not trying to answer your question earlier when you first asked it back on April 26th, 2015. I did not answer because I thought my answer would be a little too "simplistic", and I thought someone with more expertise in that area would probably give you a more complete answer.

What you have is an American Flag, probably made in the USA (and probably with sewn Stripes & embroidered Stars), that was "flown" aboard an SR-71 "Blackbird" reconnaissance jet, on an undisclosed mission, along an unknown flight path for an undetermined amount of time on March 11th, 1976.

The label on the Flag will probably tell you who made the Flag and what fabric it is made of. Heck, the label might even show the model "name" of the Flag and its size. Your Flag might even come in its own box, but I don't know because you didn't say. If you've watched PBS's "Antiques Roadshow", then you know that having THE box that it came in is VERY important!

I can't think of any "historical" event that happened on March 11th, 1976, but maybe there's some kind of significant anniversary for March 11th?

I know of no significant events in the SR-71's "timeline" for March 11th, but then it was a pretty "secret" operation, if you know what I mean.

For all we know, March 11th could be somebody's birthday!

1976 was, of course, the Bicentennial Birthday/Anniversary of our Nation's Declaration of Independence. So maybe that might have something to do with it.

Since I don't know what size your Flag is, or what kind of fabric it's made of, it would be a "shot-in-the-dark" kind of thing for me to try and put some kind of "monetary value" on your 39 year-old Flag.

Current retail prices for "modern" USA-Made U.S. Flags that are made of either nylon or cotton and are of "sewn & embroidered" construction are approximately $30.00 for a 2'x3', $40.00 for a 3'x5', and $60.00 for a 4'x6' Flag.

Unless there is some kind of way to attach some kind of "premium" (a reason to increase the price) to your Flag, it is probably worth less than a new one.

The ONLY "premium" type of situation that I can think of right now, would be if you could find a "fan club" (or two) of the SR-71, OR a veterans group (military or civilian) of the SR-71 commands, operations, or missions, or maybe a "Blackbird" Museum. The more focused (specific) the group is to the SR-71, the better your chances (Such as the "Blackbird Association").

If you can find one or two groups, THEN your Flag could be worth a LOT more than current day Flag MSRP's!

Look around, Google around, and ask around. Who knows? You just might get lucky!

Good Luck with your Flag! Let us know how it goes.

PS. Please leave a reply to show that you read this. Thank You!

Robin Hickman
    "Your Friendly Neighborhood Flag Man"
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
  5. Michael Adams

Michael Adams New Member

Thank you for the reply and info. My father was life long US Airforce, Stategic Air Command for most of his military career. I recieved this a short after his passing so I know it's all legitimate. Thank you again for your time