Aninn, Why so much?

Discussion in 'Flag Identification and Collecting' started by csaanv, Jul 1, 2012.

1. csaanv

csaanv Member

I just got back from Duck, NC, the northern end of the Outer Banks and I stopped in a local flag dealer who sells flags, kites, etc. They are really nice folks and seem to do a pretty good business. However, they are a Annin re-seller which is a little disappointing. I guess I don't understand how they (Annin) work their price schedules. Most of their 3'x5' are now printed and sell for $38.50 or $42.50 except 50 star US flags are a litter cheaper but not by much. They stopped making sewn flags a while back because of the expense? OK, then if print flags are cheaper to make why the high prices? Also I think their quality control has slipped in the last few years as some of the printed flags are not quite centered and look off. I have also noticed that their so called "cotton" brand, "Bulldog" is really weird. I mean it is very stiff and does not wave in the wind as nicely as real cotton. Thank God for internet shopping where there is at least a little competition. Sorry, just a little venting folks. It has been really hot around here.
    Cheers,
    Mike

2. RobertMW2

RobertMW2 New Member

Greetings, We are an small Annin dealer and have no problem getting excellent stitched and embroidered flags from them. As usual, they are beautiful and well made. However, their Solarmax "dyed" anco flags are not printed. I love these flags because they last the longest, fly in the slightes breeze, sunlight shines THROUGH the white stars and the colors are brilliant. In fact, we sell these Annin 3x5ft dyed flags to the towns and government offices around us and they last more than a year, 24-7, before they look peeked. I agree, the Bulldog is a "weird" flag material. But in the larger sizes (10ft to 12 ft) they fly beautifully.

I'm in western NC and it's HOT here too! Stay cool Mike.
    Cheers,
    Robert

3. csaanv

csaanv Member

Hi Robert,
    You are correct about their US flags which I have no problem with especially their Signature series with the bigger stars. When I said printed I really meant the "dyed" process they use. I was mostly referring to those types of flags when I was venting. I started collecting since the mid-eighties and I have seen a difference in those types of flags from Aninn. It does not seem the cutters or those who sewn on the headers are paying attention to detail as my St. Andrews Cross flag the cross is off centered. A Virginia flag I have from them, the seal is about 2-3 inches off centered. With a Grand Union flag the canton should be squared but it seems they don't know that and made it almost rectangle. (The ends of the diagonal cross should come to a point at the corners). Am I being nit picky?, yeah, and it didn't bother when I was paying $25.00 - $29.00 a flag but since they have gone to the dyed process you expect them to be perfect since it is more automated. My sewn Aninn flags are very well made and I am very happy with them but that is becoming a thing of the past. Sorry, venting again. What part of Western NC are you located? My family home is in Greensboro.

4. coasterville

coasterville Member

Unfortunately, almost all but their US flags seem to be made on their dye printing machine. The article I read one time said they would still make simple international flag patterns, think the most common tricolors with sewn panels.

Annin does command a higher price because of the name. But keep in mind I have some 48 and 49 star flags made by Valley Forge with printed star fields (the stripes are sewn).

I haven't gotten an example of a badly printed Annin flag, so I can't comment on that. MY local bricks and mortar full serve flag store is mainly Annin, but I think they have arrangements with other manufacturers. (I've seen Ruffin there recently, which means fully sewn and embrodiered State of Ohio flags are available!)

Here is my Annin Grand Union, you can comment on if it looks good to you. (Annin Nyl Glo)

[​IMG]
    Grand union flag by Coasterville, on Flickr

5. csaanv

csaanv Member

500px-Grand_Union_Flag.jpg

Hi David,
    I can't quite see the ends of the crosses in your photo, but each end should come to a point at each corner as you can see above. In most cases in seems in their attempt to keep the flag at a perfect 3'X5' size or what ever size they will fudge by sliding the canton insert in one direction or another. I work in graphics and so I am a little crazy about such things. Just to add I recently bought a 3'x5' NC state flag from that same company that Robin linked to for the 15 star US flags for $6.50. I only paid $14.50 for it and it was exactly the same material and quality as my Nyl Glo Annin flag that costs $42.50. That is what I am talking about. I am out of country at the moment but when I get back I will post some pics of what I am talking about.
    Cheers,
    mike

6. coasterville

coasterville Member

Sorry, I just grabbed a photo I had on hand. Since I just got done flying the Grand Union last week, I took a detail photo for you:

Maybe, this will help.
    [​IMG]
    Grand union flag. Canton detail by Coasterville, on Flickr

Anyway, I was thinking, perhaps instead of the Grand Union right before July 4th, perhaps one of my Union Jacks to illustrate the separation, at least symbolically. Or, perhaps I need a Kings Colors to do that.

7. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

I'm not sure that I'd worry too much about things like the exact alignment of the saltire in a Continental Colors replica. There are no existing examples, but I suspect that the workmanship on the originals wasn't all that precise. However, it is true that contemporary illustrations show a more-or-less square canton.

perhaps instead of the Grand Union right before July 4th, perhaps one of my Union Jacks to illustrate the separation, at least symbolically. Or, perhaps I need a Kings Colors to do that.

My Flag Day display is the British Red Ensign, the Continental Colors and the 13-star "Fowle Flag," in that order. I like it because it's a graphic illustration of how the American flag probably developed.

Peter Ansoff

8. csaanv

csaanv Member

Hi Peter,
    You are right, I would not expect the hand made flags of that era to be perfect. Each one would have it's own unique characteristics which in turn makes them very special. Annin has spent thousands of dollars upgrading their plants like the one here in Virginia with the latest technology that assures "exactness" when reproducing artwork for their dye process. I don't lose sleep over it but there really is no excuse for the type of error I see when making flags today when it is mostly automated, especially when there is such a markup on their product.
    Cheers,
    mike

9. csaanv

csaanv Member

Here is another example of Aninn's workmanship of a British Red Ensign. In all fairness to Aninn, they do have seperate flag divisions in their flag manufacturing. So the folks that make the U.S. flags don't make the historical flags. Also I bought this flag a few years back so they may have corrected this type of error. I sure hope so. The size of this "square" canton is 17.5" x 22.5". In this case would say 5 inches is beyond the tolerance of error. I would definitely say David's Grand Union flag is within tolerance.

gb-red.gif British Red Ensign.jpg

10. Moneeb

Moneeb New Member

Hello Friends, I am Moneeb from pakistan and am manufacturer of flags and pennats on customers demands.