Antique 32-star flag available

Discussion in 'Flag Identification and Collecting' started by NAVA1974, Jan 27, 2011.

1. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

Rick Wyatt, a flag retailer in the Baltimore metro area, gets the occasional oddball email through his website http://www.crwflags.com/contents.html

A recent visitor alerted Rick to an antique 32-star US flag :eek: he saw in a New Brunswick antique shop. The flag is featured on the shop's home page: http://eastcoastantiques.ca/

Rick knows I am a flag collector and he passed the inquiry on to me. As I already have a "32" I thought I would pass this opportunity on to others. :cool:

Here is the info I received on the flag:

[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]"Hi Rick,[/FONT]
    [FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]"I was in an antique shop Moncton, New Brunswick which is located in eastern Canada yesterday and I saw a hand sewn USA Flag which was very old & very large with 32 stars in 4 rows of 8 stars.[/FONT]
    [FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]The flag is "huge" at 8 ft X13 3/4 ft [/FONT]
    [FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]This very large and very old flag was flown above a hotel in Saint John, New Brunswick which over the years would have attracted a lot[/FONT]
    [FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]of visitors from the nearby USA (today only a one hour away). Saint John was a large ship building and business center and much business was done with Boston and New York.[/FONT]
    [FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]QUESTION: Have you ever seen a flag with the 32 stars in just 4[/FONT]
    [FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]rows quite _similar_ in style to the 28 star flag with its 4 rows[/FONT]
    [FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]of 7 stars?[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]"A link above will take you to Scott's website which has two photos of his early "hand sewn" cotton 32 star US flag with 4 rows of 8 stars.[/FONT]
    [FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]As expected of a 150 yr old flag, there are some stains & some old repairs but the flag is quite authentic and a rather unusual example (or version) of a 32 star US flag.[/FONT]
    A couple of antique "auctioneers" from the USA had contacted Scott with offers to take the flag on consignment and sell by auction, however, Scott would prefer to find a serious flag collector who wants to purchase this rather unusual design of the 32 star flag."

Regards,
    Nick Artimovich:)

2. motortribe

motortribe New Member

This flag has been for sale for a while now. I have been looking for a 32 star flag for some time now. I am from minnesota and would like 32 star flag to hang on the wall. The only problem is I have no idea where I can find a smaller sized flag. Max size could be 4 foot to hang on the wall. Anyone that knows of one please feel free to contact me. Thanks Daniel.

3. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

Dan,
    There wasn't much of a demand for small flags before the Civil War. There are examples of flags printed on silk or cotton with 26, 29, 31, and 33 stars, but I can not recall ever seeing a small 32 star flag. Most smaller sewn flags were made with 13 stars because of the relative difficulty of sewing tiny stars, and because twice as many stars would not be conspicuous at a distance. When I noted in my email that my 32-star flag was of "slightly smaller proportions" I wasn't kidding - it is at least 8 to 10 feet long. For years after I bought mine at a Civil War Collector's Show in Harper's Ferry WV (circa 1978) I thought I had the only 32-star flag in existance. Once the Internet came along a saw a couple of other large sewn wool examples made for use on ships at sea where the need for a huge ensign is obvious, but nothing in a "displayable" size.

You may have seen Jeff Bridgman's description of his 32-star replica:
    Antiques Council - 32 STARS, COMMEMORATING MINNESOTA STATEHOOD, CA 1892 – 1926, A VERY RARE FLAG IN A SMALL SIZE WITH AN UNUSUAL STAR CONFIGURATION:
    where he confirms much of what I just said above.

Good luck!

Nick

ps: most of the 34-star flags that have printed woolen cantons with 32 stars plus two added were originally made as 34-star flags. All examples I have seen include the two stars added the same way.
    [​IMG]
    Only one has ever surfaced with only 32 stars and that was probably just leftover when the flagmaker stopped getting orders for flags.

4. motortribe

motortribe New Member

I know of a 21 X 38 32 star flag for sale. The only problem is the price way to expensive for me.

5. qbertman

qbertman New Member

6. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

How ironic. Just last week I said "... I can not recall ever seeing a small 32 star flag." :eek:

Well, now I have. :eek:

Nick

7. motortribe

motortribe New Member

I just found a 13X13 hanky today it's in great condition and trying to work out details on getting it. This flag is cool I wonder if its possible to get that tape residue off of it?

8. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

Normally tape residue is nearly impossible to remove as the glues have soaked into the fibers. :( However, if you can afford to be the high bidder for this flag, you can probably afford to have it cleaned. :D

Nick A