Antique flag or modern decor?

Discussion in 'Flag Identification and Collecting' started by Amanda G, Aug 24, 2018.

1. Amanda G

Amanda G New Member

I bought this at an estate sale today. The lady told me she believed this to be an antique flag that someone had "preserved". I feel like it may be a modern piece of decor, but I have no idea how to tell. I am confused by the 7 stripes. The flag itself is about 11"x16". It is IMG_2417.JPG IMG_2417.JPG really stiff and glued to the board. Any help would be much appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. David Wagner

David Wagner Member

Hello Amanda,

If this is truly is an historic flag then what a shame that it was glued to a stiff board. That would be like finding a rare old coin and rubbing off all of the detail to make it shiny.

The only time I am aware of when flags were made with less than 13 stripes was during the Civil War. As states succeeded, some flag makers removed the stars and stripes of the states that joined the Confederacy. Here are a couple of short articles explaining flags from that time. There are even photos of a few other 7-stripe flags:

If I had to guess though I don’t think yours is an historic flag. I don’t think I have ever seen an exclusionary flag that removed the stripes from the succeeding original colonies while still retaining the 13 stars for those same original colonies. That just wouldn’t make sense. The fabric doesn’t look like other flags I have seen from the 1860s. The fraying around the edges seems a bit too uniform to be natural. I think your guess is correct and this piece was made to be a nice wall decoration.

I wish I had better news, and perhaps someone else with more knowledge will post a completely contradictory opinion. For your sake I do hope so.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
  3. Amanda G

Amanda G New Member

Thank you so much for your reply. Those were my exact thoughts. The lady was just so insistent on getting it appraised, I did not want to argue with her. I bought it as a decor item anyway, and truly did not expect otherwise. I just did not want to be the girl who sold it for $20 and it was worth a lot more. I appreciate the info!