Attaching flag on mailbox

Discussion in 'Other US Flag Etiquette' started by guerette, Mar 3, 2008.

1. guerette

guerette New Member

I'm a board member for a FL condominium association. We have a disagreement on the use of the American flag and would appreciate your input and advise.

Many residents believe it appropriate to affix a small American flag to our mail box 'flags' intended to indicate when mail needs to be picked up. This helps our residents to better see, from a distance, if mail has been delivered.

Others, myself included, believe that the above is inappropriate. The American flag is not a 'tool' and to use as such is not showing proper reverance. Also, when mail is delivered, the 'flag' on the mail box is lowered which may be in violation of the provisions dealing with dipping the flag.

Your input would be much appreciated. Also, if there is a authoritative source on such matters, please advise.

Thanks in advance,
    Herve Guerette

2. Hi there - Welcome to USA flag site

what an interesting queston you have there

' The American flag is not a 'tool' and to use as such is not showing proper reverance'
    The residents are probably looking for a patriotic effect as well as using it as a means to see if mail needs to be picked up or not
    they are not advertising with the flag jus simply securing it to the existing very small pastic flag already on the box

'Also, when mail is delivered, the 'flag' on the mail box is lowered which may be in violation of the provisions dealing with dipping the flag.'

basically the flag shouldent be dipped deliberatly (lowering and then raised] towards another flag or a person
    loweing the flag down into the horizontal position when theres no mail is seen as displaying the flag vertically - rather than dipping it- as it will stay down when nobody is there

As long as the residents are fixing the flags securely and neatly and not damaging your mailboxes for future residents and making sure the flag is in a nice condition - there really should be no concern from the board to the placement of these flags

really housing associations and landlord etc cannot stop people from dispaying the US flag - only in situatins where the placement of the flag is a safety risk or it is displayed in such a way that it would damage property

i'd advise the residents to attatch their flags if they wish - using cable ties as these dont damage anything and can be pulled very tight to ensure the flag is secure - they also look neat and are weatherproof
    also wrn them about the possable theft of their flags - they are at an accessable height and near the sidewalks - and the board wouldent be responsable for any lost flags

hope this helps

3. guerette

guerette New Member

Thanks for thoughtful reply. That really helps. Another possible issue, just to be certain we've really addressed all concerns, is that the lowered flag is between the mailboxes. We're talking about large mailboxes with individual locked boxes for many residents. I read a section of the law or regulations that said flag should not be allowed to touch ground or other area. Supposed to fly free. So, when lowered, flag would be pressed between and against the large mail box units.

With the above information, do you still believe use of our American flag is ok.

Realize we're beating this poor hourse to death. Should know that we're a retirement community and have nothing better to do. Feelings also run deep and residents want to pay proper respect to our flag. Some think that means using in the way in question while others think such use is inappropriate.

Lastly, is that a Gov't agency, commission or organization that could provide definitive response to finally settle this issue.

I greatly appreciate your input and look forward to your response.

Sincerely,
    Herve Guerette

4. hi there

if the flag wasnt allowed to touch ANYTHING beneath it - where would one for example put a folded flag taken from a flagpole to rest overnight? - it would have to be placed on something! unless ther was some alien vat where the flag could be placed inside and it woud just float without touching anything! lol

but seriously - as long as the flag isnt being placed somewhere where it can easily become damaged or dirty and not touching the ground - then there shouldet be a problem
    and if you guys are super bored - you could go round and check that the flags are being placed correctly an not being damaged or damaging property!

the flag code is very old and out of date - and people interprit it in different ways and often become misguided when rumours start
    for example there is a rumour going round that if the flag touches the ground it must be burned - i was told this one by an American veteran whilst visiting the US - i knew otherwise but this was a big man and he had protected and served his country and i didnt feel like debating it wth him!

if the issue here is purely one of visability- that the mailbox flags cant be seen - rather athan one of pure patriotsm - then as an alternative you could suggest they get for example a luminous orange pennant on a stick and tie that to the mailbox flag instead - thus preventing issues with doing the same with the US flag - and then just encourage them to display their US flags elsewhere

im not really that sure of an organisation that could help personally - because i do not live in the United States

5. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

im not really that sure of an organisation that could help personally - because i do not live in the United States

You could always check with the Flag Police (see attached photo). <BG>

Attached Files:

6. lolol! peter!

your so funny!

flag police arent always a good thing though

7. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

flag police arent always a good thing though

Very true. Might make a good idea for a TV series, however . . .

8. lol yea it would