Attaching flag on the side of the house?

Discussion in 'US Flag Display' started by KatieKaboom, May 19, 2017.

1. KatieKaboom

KatieKaboom New Member

I just moved out of an apartment and into a house. Due to the large ornamental maple trees and plant life at my house I cannot place a flag on either side of the door.

I would place it on the right side of the garage door (on the left side of the home when faced from the street) but unfortunately this would lead to it dragging in the roofs gutter a lot on a breezy day. This home has odd overhangs. Hanging the flag low to keep it out of the gutter is a walkway hazard and hanging it higher sets it in the dirty gutter. If I move it around the corner by 2 feet I can place it higher, it will be clear of the gutter, and also keep people from walking into it.

Is this placement on the side of the house rather than the front OK?

I bought this flag at Costco last year in anticipation of finally hanging one at my own home someday not anticipating this dilemma.

The flag is a Valley Forge brand 3'x 5' on a 6' one-piece pole on a bracket mount.

Google "Costco couple valley forge flag" for the exact flag. They sold out the first year I saw it so I made sure to grab it the next!

2. FlagAdvocate

FlagAdvocate Member

KatieKaboom...Love your forum ID! I applaud you for carefully considering where to attach your flag so that it would not drag on the roof gutter, overhangs, and be a potential walkway hazard for people walking into it. Too often I see far less consideration given to where flags are displayed. It sounds like you have found an excellent place to attach your flag, especially if it could be seen from the sidewalk or street in front of your house which I believe is your intent. Of course, the other obvious solution would be to erect a flag pole in your front yard to display your flag. Keep in mind that if you intend to leave your flag displayed at night, you should have it illuminated. There are several possibilities for lighting, including solar lighting fixtures. Other Forum members may have additional comments or advice. Please let us know how things turn out. Any photos you could post would be appreciated.

Bill Jameson
    Vet & Flag Advocate

Robin Hickman likes this.
  3. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Greetings, KatieKaboom!

Yes, mounting the flagpole bracket on the side of your house to keep your Flag flying "clean" and out of "harm's way", is perfectly OK.

In the comic strip, PEANUTS, "Good Ol' Charlie Brown" had to deal with a kite-eating tree. in real life people like you and me sometimes have to deal with "Flag-eating Rain Gutters"!

Usually, finding the "right" place and position to fly one's Flag is a fairly simple proposition. But, occasionally, "things" can get in the way and cause a hazard to the Flag. Sometimes it's trees, bushes, or other vegetation getting in the way. Sometimes it's the building's architecture (ie. roof eave, gutters, etc.) that gets in the way. And, yes, power, telephone, and cable lines can cause problems too.

In any of those cases (and others) the best you can do is to try to find the best respectful "compromise" for positioning your Flag so that it flies freely and proudly without being a hazard to itself or others. This sounds like what you're trying to do with yours.

Last edited: May 21, 2017
  4. Robin Hickman

Won't let me edit "old" reply here, or post "new" one.

Sorry!

EDIT : Something "odd"..... It let me post THIS reply! I wonder why?

Robin

5. Robin Hickman

Still won't let me re-post my original reply, OR edit it!

DANG !!!

6. Robin Hickman

Greetings, KatieKaboom!

Yes, mounting the flagpole bracket on the side of your house to keep your Flag flying "clean" and out of "harm's way" is perfectly OK.

In the comic strip, "PEANUTS", "Good Ol' Charlie Brown" had to deal with a kite-eating tree. In real life, people like you and me sometimes have to deal with "Flag-eating Rain Gutters"!

SIGH . . .

Usually, finding the "right" place and position to fly one's Flag is a fairly simple proposition. But, occasionally, "things" can get in the way and cause a hazard to the Flag. Sometimes it's trees, bushes, or other vegetation getting in the way. Sometimes it's the building's architecture (ie. roof eave, gutters, etc.) that gets in the way. And, yes, power, telephone, and cable lines can cause problems too.

In any of those cases (and others) the best you can do is to try to find the best respectful "compromise" for positioning your Flag so that it flies freely and proudly without being a hazard to itself or others. This sounds like what you're trying to do with yours. And, other than removing one or more trees (or any other vegetation), you seem to have found a suitable "compromise" that works for you.

could you please post a few pictures of your Flag so we can all see how you solved your "problem"?

Thank You!

Robin Hickman
    "Your Friendly Neighborhood Flag Man"
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.
    [ NOTE : This is a hand-typed "re-entered" reply of an earlier, incomplete, reply that was caused by the website's software. ]

admin likes this.
  7. Robin Hickman

For some reason the website allows me to hand-type entries here but it does NOT allow "Copy/Pasted" entries. I remember trying to "fight" through making entries when the "ERROR" page popped up for the website's automatic "backing up" function. Then, it would pop-up the ERROR page, and wouldn't post the entry. Same with the "Edit" function!

Oh, Well . . .

8. admin

admin Administrator

TESTING - Forum DEV

Last edited: May 25, 2017
  9. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

All,

I do not have a clue what all of this means. However, as you can see, our tech support is diligently working on the problem and I hope they'll be able to resolve it.

admin likes this.
  10. admin

admin Administrator

I was just trying to reproduce the error by copy and pasting :)

I'm pretty certain the issue a few had with the "fatal error" is fixed.

Going to upgrade the forum next so you guys will be on the latest and greatest :)

Robin Hickman likes this.
  11. Robin Hickman

"LATEST & GREATEST" ???

Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy!

Et Cetera . . .

THANK YOU !!!

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.

12. Steven R. Townson

Steven R. Townson New Member

Please do not forget if you are mounting your flag in a poorly lit area.

Title 4, Chapter 1, Section 6, (a)

It is the universal custom to display the flag only from sunrise to sunset on buildings and on stationary flagstaffs in the open. However, when a patriotic effect is desired, the flag may be displayed 24 hours a day if properly illuminated during the hours of darkness.

Pub L. 114-38

13. Robin Hickman

Yes, as Steve R. Townson and FlagAdvocate wrote earlier (above), if you are flying your Flag all night long, it should have a light shining on it.

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.