Best Flag Material

Discussion in 'US Flag Specs and Design' started by GodLovesDixie, Jul 8, 2015.

1. GodLovesDixie

GodLovesDixie New Member

Of all the different styles and materials used to make flags, which would you consider best? The cheaper flags always come folded and have little square creases throughout. Which material is best for indoor use? Maybe to hang on the wall? I have a G-spec US nylon Flag. It doesn't wrinkle and is great looking, although I paid a lot for it. Anyway, best material?

2. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

It really depends on what you plan to do with the flag. If it will be flown outdoors on a regular basis, nylon seems to be the best option. In the case of US flags that's not a major issue, because nylon flags are relatively cheap. If you're only flying the flag occasionally (as I do with my set of foreign national flags), those poly flags are reasonable options, because they are cheap and also fly better in light winds. I have multiple flag poles, which creates an interesting problem -- when you fly a nylon and a poly flag side by side, it often looks strange because the poly flag is flying out when the heavier nylon one is hanging slack. I actually have a poly US flag that I sometimes use for "compatibility." I also have a 3 x 5 nylon US flag for standard use, and a G-Spec one for holidays.

For hanging on the wall or other indoor use, wear and tear is not much of an issue. In that case, it really comes down to what looks good vs. what you want to pay.

Those creases in the poly flags are a pain. I have had some luck with ironing them out, but the problem is that you need to keep doing it -- if you store the flag folded then the creases come back.

One thing I've always been curious about is the desirability of sewn vs. printed flags. Collectors generally seem to prefer the sewn ones, because they look classier. However, it would seem intuitively that printed ones would wear better, because they don't have internal seams that can unravel. This is particularly noticeable on badly worn US flags -- the stripes tend to come apart at the fly.

3. Chris Burch

Chris Burch New Member

For indoor use I would say nylon would be a good choice. If you don't mind spending a little more I like the Annin Tough Tex flags made from spun polyester. They are the toughest flags for outdoor use and would also look good inside in my opinion.