Best flag to display in a case?

Discussion in 'US Flag Display' started by NavyDDS, Jun 21, 2015.

1. NavyDDS

NavyDDS New Member

Looking to get a G-SPEC flag to have flown at multiple flagpoles where I'm currently deployed and later put in a triangular case for display. Any thoughts on whether to go with nylon or cotton? Thanks!
  2. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Hello, NavyDDS, and welcome to the USA-FLAG-SITE Forum!

Thank you, for your Service!

A small part of me wants to say, "whichever one will fit in the case"!

Actually, I think it's simply a matter of personal preference. Get whichever one you prefer. Some folks, perhaps a majority, prefer the look and feel ("hand") of the more traditional cotton Flags. Others prefer the more "fly-able" and longer lasting nylon.

Just make sure that the case and Flag are a "size" match. Meaning that the Flag should be of the proper size that the Flag case is designed to hold. Kind of like the old carpenter's rule: "measure twice, cut once".

Personally, if it was my Flag, I'd get a nylon one. (But, hey! That's just me!)

Anyway, Good Luck with your project! Please let us know how it all ends up, OK?

Thank You!

Robin Hickman
    "Your Friendly Neighborhood Flag Man" (and Navy Veteran)
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.
    NavyDDS likes this.
  3. NavyDDS

NavyDDS New Member

Robin -

Thanks for the advice! I'll let you know how it goes. There are quite a few spots I can get it flown here and can get certificates showing the date/location/etc. My idea would be to keep this flag with me and try to get it flown at as many locations as possible over the years.

My plan is to have case custom built, so I don't think flag and case matching should be much of an issue. I'm thinking of going for a 5' x 9'6" size flag as I think 3' 6" x 6' 8" might look a bit small once folded, and if I'm going through all the trouble I'd like something that has a decent size once folded and cased.

Why do you say nylon? Any reason that's your preference?

Thank you for your service as well!
  4. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Hello, again, NavyDDS !

A custom-built Flag case sounds like it might be the best way to go. You could have it made it so that you have some place to store the certificates of authenticity (COAs) with the Flag. And you could even add a large brass plaque, or a bunch of small ones, to list all the places & dates of where & when the Flag was flown. Maybe have the plaque/plaques showing in front with the Flag, and the COA's ("proof") stored out of sight in the back? A "regular" sized triangular case for a 5'x9½' Flag has a base that's somewhere in the neighborhood of 24" to 30", depending on its construction. I have NO idea how big a custom case might end up being for a 5'x9½' Flag.

Why nylon? Well, mainly for its appearance (especially with Stars embroidered with "shiny" thread), longevity, "fly-ability", and fold-ability. I think nylon Flags look better than cotton ones, but "traditionalists" will heartily disagree (and that's OK). Nylon Flags fly a lot easier (less wind) than cotton ones, and they last longer (when flown daily) and retain their shape better. Because they retain their shape better, they are easier to fold, un-fold, and re-fold. Also, I have found that nylon Flags fold up "thinner" than same-sized cotton ones. Just my opinion, of course.

I urge you to do whatever you can do to get your hands & eyes on same-sized cotton and nylon U.S. Flags (side-by-side at the same time) made by the same manufacturer. That way you'll be able to better judge which one you prefer right then and there, without having to rely on your memory. Hold them and look at them from different angles and take them outside to see what they look like in the sun. YOUR preferences are MUCH more important than my opinion. It's going to be your Flag, and it's going to be yours for a long, long time.

Good Luck with your "Heritage" Flag Project! I look forward to seeing how it all turns out!

Robin Hickman
    "Your Friendly Neighborhood Flag Man"
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.

promotional proucts and NavyDDS like this.
  5. promotional proucts

promotional proucts New Member

i think "cotton" is better
  6. paul wolfe

paul wolfe New Member

Which ever you choose, the secret to the perfect folded flag in a case is: Make a cardboard cut-out of the case, 1/4 inch smaller on all three sides. On the last fold position the cut-out so the star is centered at the peak and even on the sides. Fit that in the case followed by the rest of the folded flag.