Bunting Of Blue, White, and Red

Discussion in 'Other Patriotism' started by FlagAdvocate, Jul 15, 2017.

1. FlagAdvocate

FlagAdvocate Member

Bunting.jpg
    The US Flag Code, §8(d) states "Bunting of blue, white, and red, always arranged with the blue above, the white in the middle, and the red below, should be used for covering a speaker's desk, draping in front of the platform, and for a decoration in general".

This year I thought I would order bunting to decorate my porch but just could not find any that were made as described in the Flag Code. I ended up buying bunting with red on top as seen in the attached photo. Does anyone know who makes bunting with blue above?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
  2. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

I am unable to "open" any of the attachments on this website, so I am unable to "view" the attachment to see what it looks like. I'm not sure if it is a continuing "problem" on this website from earlier this month, or if it's something "wrong" with MY computer, browser, etc.

Some of the 3-stripe RWB bunting I've seen have been a very basic and plain RWB tri-color. I don't recall which color was on top, but I suppose if it was a RED-White-Blue variety, one could always flip it up-side down to make it look like it was the BLUE-White-Red variety.

Some of the RWB bunting I've seen was of the 5-stripe pattern: RWBWR. Most of them had White Stars spaced across inside of the BLUE stripe.

Hopefully, the problem with the non-opening attachments will be "fixed" some time soon!

Robin

3. FlagAdvocate

FlagAdvocate Member

Robin, FYI, I've restored the photo attachment above.

4. Robin Hickman

Hi, Bill!

The photo shows 1½'x3' pleated half-fans, not bunting. "American" bunting is usually a long rectangular piece of solid cloth that has either three or five stripes (B-W-R/R-W-B ...Or... R-W-B-W-R).

You'll find bunting on page 38 of the 2016 Annin dealers catalog:
    https://view.publitas.com/p222-2684/annin_catalog_2017/page/38-39

You can also find various bunting on page 14/15 of the 2017 Eder Flag Company Catalog :
    https://www.ederflag.com/images/catalogs/2017Catalog/index.html#p=14
    Eder's 3-stripe bunting is shown as R-W-B, not the B-W-R that you're looking for.

Hope this helps!

Robin Hickman
    "Your Friendly Neighborhood Flag Man"
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.

5. FlagAdvocate

FlagAdvocate Member

Robin...thanks for the clarification and the links. I am glad I joined this forum. I seem to learn something valuable every time you reply!

6. Robin Hickman

Thank You, Bill!