burial flag - distribution protocol

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Flag Discussion' started by debra robbins, Jul 24, 2009.

1. debra robbins

debra robbins New Member

As the eldest son, my husband was given his father's burial flag following his funeral. My husband passed away last week. What is the proper protocol for me to follow at this time? Does it go to the next oldest living relative of my father in law or does it go to my oldest son?

2. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Hello, Debra. Welcome to the forum, and we are very sorry to hear about your loss.

As far as I know, there are no special rules about this. Unless your husband left instructions about who should receive the flag, it's really up to your judgement.

Best regards,

Peter Ansoff

3. armoryhistorian

armoryhistorian New Member

I am in agreement with Peter - The special rules (Government/Military) end with the presentation of the flag to a family member.

4. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Interestingly, the 2009 Defense Appropriation Act modified the section of the US Code (10 USC 1482) dealing with presentation of burial flags. Previously, the code said that the Government would pay for a flag to be presented to the individual responsible for disposition of the service member's remains. The responsibile individual was defined as a surviving spouse, a blood relative, a relative by adoption, or "a person standing in loco parentis" of the deceased.

As amended, the Government will also pay for flags presented to the parents, surviving spouse, and children of the member, if any of them are not the person responsible for disposition. As I read it, this means that each of those individuals gets a flag. Does anyone have more insight on this?

Peter Ansoff