burial flag question...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Flag Discussion' started by boz23, Jul 14, 2010.

1. boz23

boz23 New Member

are they strictly reserved for veterans or service members who died on active duty? I'm asking this because I'm on a civilian law enforcement honor guard team and we've done two funerals and both were never in the military but had the US flag draped over their casket and we folded the flag and presented it to the families. Is this right???? Neither died in the line of duty. Is there an exception for officers killed in the line of duty? I was told that the flag is only for vets and active service members. I need clarification before I bring this up to my honor guard commander.

2. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

When my father-in-law passed away two years ago we were required to present proof of his service in the United States armed forces (Army Air Corps) before the Department of Veterans Affairs would provide a flag for his funeral.

I know of now laws that restrict the use of flags on caskets but I know that historically free flags been reserved for current and former members of the armed forces of the United States.

Another web site provides the following:

It is appropriate for any patriotic person to make and be granted the same honor as military to have a flag drape the coffin. Only those who served in the military, however, are provided the flag for free. It would be recommended that during the service that it be explained that the flag is draping the coffin as an expression of the deceased's patriotism and love of country. The flag for one who dies on active duty is provided by one's branch of service. Flags for other Veterans are provided by the Department of Veterans Affairs.Civilians must purchase the flag at their own expense.

See:Flag Frequently Asked Questions

Nick