Can Civilians Present Flags at Funerals to NOK?

Discussion in 'Other US Flag Etiquette' started by Miguel Pascual, Aug 17, 2017.

?

Is this allowed? And should I kick his ass?

1. Yes, it's allowed.

100.0%
  2. Yes, kick his ass.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No, it's not allowed. Call him out but don't kick his ass.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. No, it's not allowed and most certainly kick his ass.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Miguel Pascual

Miguel Pascual New Member

Hoping someone can help clarify. So recently, an employee at my job passed and he was a Marine Veteran. Another employee at my job, we'll call him Jackass, was previously called out for claiming to have served in my beloved Corps. We had him agree to stop making these claims and we'll all move past it. Well, Jackass was seen at the funeral service of the Marine who passed presenting a pre-folded flag to the next-of-kin in a botched military manner (a couple about about-faces, salute, etc). As previously mentioned, I also served and when i was told that this happened...it made my blood boil. Are civilians allowed to do this? From my understanding, the family did not ask for any type of military rites for his funeral. How should I respond?

2. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Greetings Miguel!

From your description this was not a military funeral, so military regs did not apply. There's no reason that someone (military or not) can't present a flag to next-of-kin at a funeral, although it seems odd that they would do so without the family's prior knowledge and consent. There might be an issue if the person was actually impersonating a service member, but that would have nothing to do with presenting the flag.

3. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

I am in FULL AGREEMENT with Peter.

Robin