carrying flag during national athem

Discussion in 'Other US Flag Etiquette' started by sheila, Nov 12, 2007.

1. sheila

sheila Guest

What is protocol (at a rodeo event) when horse & rider is carring the American flag during National Athem? Some say that horse & rider should not be movingbut standing still in middle of arena. ----sheila

2. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

What is protocol (at a rodeo event) when horse & rider is carring the American flag during National Athem? Some say that horse & rider should not be movingbut standing still in middle of arena. ----sheila

Hi, Sheila,

I can't recall any provision that specifically addresses this, but it makes sense that the flag-bearer should be stationary. USC Title 36 para 301 says that all present should face the flag and stand at attention during the playing of the anthem. If the flag were moving, everyone would have to shuffle back and forth in unison to keep facing the flag, which sounds like something out of Monty Python!

The national anthem is not normally played during parades and such. You can't march to it, because it's written in 3/4 time. (You could *waltz* to it, however!)

Peter Ansoff

3. ljsmith

ljsmith New Member

Yes, this is correct. I just want to add on a few things. For example, during a rodeo, for the Anthem, the flag and rider are standing still. The American flag is held straight and any other flag carriers are a few steps behind with their flags tipped forward to the best of my knowledge.