Cell Tower As Flag Pole

Discussion in 'Flag Poles' started by FlagAdvocate, Jan 15, 2014.

1. FlagAdvocate

FlagAdvocate Member

The governing body of my home town has scheduled a Conditional Use Hearing to address whether to allow Verizon to install a cell tower in a public park which "will double as a flag pole" and bring in several thousand dollars in monthly revenue. As an advocate for the respectful display of the American flag, I am opposed to the idea that the cell tower should "double as a flag pole", but I need help in addressing the issue at the Conditional Use Hearing. I invite the forum to suggest a convincing argument for me to present to the Township Supervisors that this really isn't a good idea.

2. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Hi, Bill!

I don't know if it's a "good idea", or not. Around the "metro-area" where I live (Eugene-Springfield, Oregon) I've seen a number of different configurations of cell towers. I think most of them probably would NOT work out very well as "flagpoles" because of all the little antennaes (Flag eaters) arrayed all the way around the top. About the only way it would work for those types of cell towers would be to add a built-in flagpole at the very top so that the flag(s) would be able to fly "free and clear" of any possible obstructions.

It's always nice to see an American Flag flying freely in the breeze from a flagpole. I don't know if it matters all that much if the Flag's flagpole is attached to the ground, or the side of a building, or the roof of a building, or the top of the highest mast on a boat or ship, or the very tip-top of a construction crane, or the top of a bridge, or the side of a street lamp, or the top of a light pole, or even perched high atop a cell tower in the middle of a city park.

Is your main "objection" because of the placement of the cell tower in a city park or that they would like to fly an American Flag from a flagpole attached to the top of it?

I "Googled" the terms "Flagpole" +"Cell Phone Tower" to see what's "out there". It turns out that there are a LOT of different ways to "disguise" a cell phone tower, including as a flagpole!!!
    Then I concentrated on the photos/pictures aspect. See for yourself.

https://www.google.com/search?lr=&t...24GwBw&ved=0CFYQvwUoAA&dpr=1&biw=1600&bih=666

If the new cell phone tower proposed for the city park in Williamsport, Pennsylvania actually looks like a flagpole, I, personally, don't have a "problem" with it. But then I live in Eugene, Oregon and not in Williamsport, Pennsylvania.

Anyway, that's MY "two cents" worth". :cool:

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.

3. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

NOTE To Peter Ansoff : :eek:

I believe this thread is in the wrong Forum section. Perhaps it should be moved to "Flagpoles" or "U.S. Flag Display"??? :confused::confused:

Thanx! :cool:

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.

4. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Robin and all,

I concur -- done!

5. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

I'm inclined to agree with Robin. There's no reason why an antenna shouldn't double as a flagpole, as long as the arrangements for the flag, halyards, etc. are practical and appropriate. Modern ships' masts are a good analogy: they frequently have antennas, platforms and other potential obstructions mounted on them, but are provided with poles or gaffs that allow the flag to fly freely and to be raised and lowered without fouling.