Christian flag

Discussion in 'Flag Poles' started by EmailPoster, Jun 6, 2006.

1. EmailPoster

EmailPoster New Member

What is the rule when displaying the christian and us flags....

2. jproffitt10

jproffitt10 Guest

Laura,

The U.S. flag and a Christian flag may be flown on the same pole. The U.S. Flag should always be at the top of the mast with the other flag(s) beneath it. I am Unsure of the rules or guidelines of the Christian flag you mention, though can assure you that flying it beneath the U.S. flag is not considered "dipping" it and does not offer up any disrespect to the Christian flag.

3. maydaynm

maydaynm New Member

Hi Laura, does it also mean that "flying it [U.S. flag] beneath the [Christian] flag is not considered "dipping" it and does not offer up any disrespect to the [U.S.] flag"? It seems that the Christian flag should fly above the U.S. flag since we say "one nation, under God, ..." in our pledge of allegiance.

4. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

The USA flag always flies above other flags, with one exception. When religious services are held aboard a US Navy vessel the Church Pennant is flown above the National Ensign., as in this US Navy photo linked here: http://www.navsource.org/archives/01/011929.jpg
    Nick A
    Columbia Maryland

5. maydaynm

maydaynm New Member

I'm wondering why the Christian flag isn't always flown above the American flag since no one would argue that the kingdom of God is certainly above the kingdoms of men/women. Even in our pledge to the flag we acknowledge that. It seems to me that, lacking any logical reasoning to the contrary, that should be the ruling understanding.

6. APS221

APS221 Member

According to the First Amendment to The Constitution, "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech..." It seems to me that a law or regulation which requires flying the Christian Flag above the American Flag would violate that part of the Constitution/Bill of Rights. However, it also seems that any law or regulation that prohibits you from flying the Christian Flag above the American Flag would also violate that part of the Constitution/Bill of Rights.

7. csaanv

csaanv Member

There is a tradidtion of a Church pennant that is flown over the national ensign when a service is being held on board a U.S. naval vessel. Regardless of the Constitution/Bill of Rights, I am suprised that the secular fundamentalists haven't target that remnant of our Christian past.

8. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

Would you then allow the flag of Saudi Arabia to fly above the US flag? It reads "There is no god but God and Mohammed is His prophet." That flag certainly speaks to a higher power than the USA. And what about the flag of Iran? Its text reads "God is Great." How could any Christian object to that religious flag flying above the US flag? Or the flag of Vatican City? It is the flag of the largest Christian denomination on Earth. Surely it should also be considered as a flag of God that is superior to the USA flag.

"Render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and unto God the things that are God's." Earthly nations use flags. God does not need one. In the USA, follow the US Flag Code.

Nick
    Columbia MD

9. APS221

APS221 Member

True, but it's purpose is to signal that services are in progress. It's not a permanent fixture above the flag. In addition to a Christian Church Pennant, the U.S. Navy also has a Jewish Worship Pennant. As long as the Navy accommodates other non-Christian religion chaplains, then I don't think it runs afoul of the First Amendment.

10. maydaynm

maydaynm New Member

Agreed, and I don't think it should be handled as a law. We have so many laws that I wonder if we might even have laws that counteract other laws that nobody knows about because they've been forgotten. Anyway, I agree with that last comment for sure! The Christian flag sitting above our U.S. flag looks funny - different - or at least odd, but it seems right, so, without any better guidance, I think i'll stick with the logic of "greater kingdoms" coupled with the wording of the Pledge of Allegiance having the "one nation" under the "one God".

11. csaanv

csaanv Member

Hi Nick,
    Sorry, I got off point, this is probably not the forum to discuss those issues but I do respect you and your opinions. :)
    mike

12. csaanv

csaanv Member

Who is this who looks down like the dawn, beautiful as the moon, bright as the sun, awesome as an army with banners?
    Song of Solomon 6:10

13. MrLDPatriot

MrLDPatriot New Member

I have always felt this same way

14. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member