Christian Flag

Discussion in 'Other Flags' started by christian40, May 23, 2009.

1. christian40

christian40 New Member

:confused: WHY FLY THE CHRISTIAN FLAG UNDER THE AMERICAN FLAG? IF YOU HAD TO MAKE A CHOICE WOULD YOU NOT RATHER BE A CHRISTIAN THAN A AMERICAN.THIS COUNTRY WAS FOUNDED BY THE GRACE OF GOD NOT THE GRACE OF AMERICA. I HAVE MY PRIORITIES RIGHT AND MY FLAGS RIGHT.

2. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Hello, Christian40 -- welcome to forum!

WHY FLY THE CHRISTIAN FLAG UNDER THE AMERICAN FLAG?

Well, the US flag code is clear that no flag is to be flown above the US flag, except for church pennants on Navy ships. Of course, the flag code is just a compilation of existing customs, and is not "law" in the sense that it's enforceable. If you want to fly the Christian flag above the US flag on your house, boat or whatever, it's up to you.

IF YOU HAD TO MAKE A CHOICE WOULD YOU NOT RATHER BE A CHRISTIAN THAN A AMERICAN.

Fortunately, our system of government ensures that no American will ever have to make such a choice. However, the other side of the coin is that there are many Americans who are not Christians.

THIS COUNTRY WAS FOUNDED BY THE GRACE OF GOD NOT THE GRACE OF AMERICA.

Our founding document, the Constitution, makes it clear that the ultimate source of our government's authority is "We the People," not God. Many Americans believe that the founding of our country was the result of divine intervention; this is reflected, for example, in many of our patriotic songs. The bottom line, however, is that citizenship and patriotism do not involve any religious "test." Americans are free to embrace any religious faith, or none at all.

I suspect that many of those who do see the hand of God in the founding of our country would still disagree with flying the Christian flag above the US flag. Catholics, for example, generally use the flag of the Holy See as their religious symbol, while those of the Jewish faith often use the flag of Israel. The American flag, however, is a common symbol that defines us as Americans, regardless of our religious beliefs.

I HAVE MY PRIORITIES RIGHT AND MY FLAGS RIGHT.

Again, you're entitled to your views and are free to express them. However, it's important to recognize that others may differ, and that those who disagree with you are just as sincere and patriotic as you are.

Best regards,

Peter Ansoff