Civil Liberties and Disrespect of the American Flag

Discussion in 'US Flag Display' started by Lori Cruz, Apr 18, 2015.

1. Lori Cruz

Lori Cruz New Member

I guess I'm going to have to brush up on my civil liberties because I was under the impression that it was against the law in this country to use the United States Flag for a doormat.
    And for this to be done on a University campus and tolerated by the campus for 3 days is unconscionable. Was there a better way for her to handle it? Yes. I think she should have involved the media and gotten it on the news before she just took the flag.
    The following is a link to a video posted on Facebook of a woman, a veteran, who saw the American Flag being walked on at a college campus and decided to do something about it when no one else had done so for 3 days. If the video will not play here, you can see it by going to Michelle Manhart Page on Facebook. She's accepting friend requests and welcomes your comments and support.

https://www.facebook.com/Californiasunvaldosta/videos/832807503423555/?pnref=story

2. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

The United States Flag Code is recommended practice, not law. Many states took that wording from the US Flag Code, and did incorporate it into their state laws, but the Supreme Court of the United States has held that the First Ammendment Right to free speech outweighs the Flag Code's recommendations and outweighs any state laws against flag desecration.

There have been a number of attempts to ammend the United States Constitution to prohibit flag desecration (and thus be equal to the right to free speech), but all have failed.

Nick
    Columbia Maryland

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015