coffin flag etiquette

Discussion in 'Other US Flag Etiquette' started by Stingray, Jun 8, 2007.

1. Stingray

Stingray Guest

My wife has her Uncle's coffin flag. He died in WW II. Is it proper to fly this flag on special days? Ie. Memorial Day?

2. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

My wife has her Uncle's coffin flag. He died in WW II. Is it proper to fly this flag on special days? Ie. Memorial Day?

It's proper to fly it proudly anytime you want. However, flying it a lot will inevitably cause some wear and tear. It might be wise to limit it to special days (such as Memorial Day, or maybe the anniversaries of important events that you wife's uncle participated in) for that reason. Normally, flags are replaced when they wear out, but with a flag like this that has a special historial meaning, you obviously don't want to do that.

Peter Ansoff

3. yep id say pretty much what Peter just said/.. save it for special days to prevent it becoming frayed etc with its age and sentimental value.
    also it is cotton so watch out for the rain on those special occasions!- if it does get wet make sure you lay it flat and get it completely dry before folding it back up.

4. tillerman

tillerman Guest

I have a question along these lines that I can not find an answer to. I always thought that the U.S flag was only placed on the coffins of veterans and heads of atate. lately I have seen it being used on civilian coffins with no military backround. Is this wrong. Where would I find this info?

5. tillerman

tillerman Guest

Sorry, the above should read heads of state.

6. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

The flag code does not say anything about this issue, other than to specify the proper way to display the flag on a casket. I don't know of any other reason why it would be restricted.

FBI director J. Edgar Hoover, who was neither a veteran nor a head of state, had a flag on his casket when he lay in state in the Capitol. The casket of Rosa Parks, the civil rights heroine, did not have a flag when she lay in honor in the Capitol, but it was covered with a flag while it was carried from her funeral service to the cemetery in Detroit.

Peter Ansoff

7. Shanimal

Shanimal Guest

disposal ceremony or donation for a beautiful flag

I have a serviceman's flag and do not particularly know the individual the flag was honored to. I am sad that the people it belonged to were going to just toss it out with some garbage. I ripped it out of their hands and I've been holding on to it for years because I have a personal battle with how our servicemen are treated by our citizens and our country after they return from war.

Disposing of this flag honorably with a ceremony doesn't even feel very honorable. I understand there are government buildings and post offices in Texas that have broken ropes and tattered flags for whatever reason. (http://www.Pecos.net/news/arch98a/080398p.htm) and I was thinking about donating the flag to them so it can be put to good use and properly honored again.

I personally believe this soldier would be proud to stir up some fading patriotism.

So, one question remains... Would a disposal ceremony or a donation to the great state of Texas serve this flag the best.