Combat Flag

Discussion in 'US Flag Display' started by G.I.Joe, Sep 3, 2008.

1. G.I.Joe

G.I.Joe New Member

My unit is presently serving in Afghanistan. My Question is What constitutes a Combat Flag? For example is there a required time the U.S. Flag must be flown before it is considered a combat flag? I appreciate any information on this

2. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

What constitutes a Combat Flag? For example is there a required time the U.S. Flag must be flown before it is considered a combat flag?

Greetings, "Joe"!

By "combat flag," I assume you're referring to flags that are carried on combat missions and then dedicated to someone (a family member, communmity, etc.). I don't know if there is any formal definition of what constitutes a combat flag, but I'd assume it just means that it was carried during a combat mission of some sort. For example, I've seen news reports about flags being carried aboard helicopters. I'd guess that it would also apply if the flag was flown at a particular base or location, or perhaps on a ship that had supported combat operations.

If you find out more details about this, please let us know here on the forum -- it's an interesting topic and a great example of how our flag is used a as a patriotic symbol. We hope that you and your fellow troops are safe and well. Let them all know that we deeply appreciate what you all are doing for us.

Peter Ansoff