Confederate flag value?

Discussion in 'Flag Identification and Collecting' started by arkansasred, Feb 12, 2013.

1. arkansasred

arkansasred New Member

I found this Confederate flag at an auction. Can anyone help me with a possible age and/or value? It looks old, but isn't battle-scarred or anything. Pictures 4904 and 4909 most closely show the actual color. There are no rips or frays, but you can see dirt on the white. There is a name written in the corner of the flag. W.L. Pendergraft. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

Hello Arkansasred and welcome to the USA Flag Forum. Your flag appears to be of early to mid 20th century construction. It is not a faithful reproduction of the Battle Flag of the Army of Northern Virginia because it is rectangular rather than square, and it lacks the white border around the field. It is the 20th century's idea of the Rebel Battle Flag (which was actually the Confederate Navy Jack.) The stitching appears quite consistent, as if it were done by an electric sewing machine, but with just enough variation that it appears to be a home-made flag rather than one made by one of the main line flagmakers, like Annin or Dettra. It may have been made for, and used by Confederate veterans at their reunions, but without further documentation from the first owners of the flag there's no sure way of pinning that down. You might try to locate records of WLPendergraft (or variations) local to the place where you got the flag. As far as value goes, legit CSA flags from the United Confederate Veterans era could be worth $500 to $1000.
    For more information on real Civil War era Confederate flag designs, see Flags of the Confederacy
    One last thing, a genuine Confederate Battle Flag ca 1861-1865 would sell for $75,000 to $150,000 at auction, or therabouts.
    Nick A
    Columbia Maryland

3. arkansasred

arkansasred New Member

Thanks Nick. You've helped alot. I appreciate the expert knowledge. I'm going to look into finding W.L. Pendegraft and go from there.

4. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

Glad to be of assistance. Here is a pic of the only authentic CSA flag I have in my collection:

CSABibleFlag.jpg

5. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Hello!

To find anything out about "W.L. Pendergraft", you might want to start looking in the neighborhood of Colorado County, Texas.
    A "W.L. Pendergraft" is mentioned as a pallbearer for R. Lee Hastedt in the February 17th, 1953 obituary of the "Colorado County Citizen" (page 1).
    Colorado County, TX Obituaries - Hastedt

William L. Pendergraft was a newpaper editor in Columbus, Colorado County, Texas. He was born on July 10, 1890 in Texas, and he died on April 11th, 1960 in Houston. He was buried in Columbus, TX.
    https://familysearch.org/search/rec...tates" +any_place:TEXAS~ +any_year:1950-1955~

You can find the obituary for William Lewis Pendergraft HERE (in the center column: scroll down about 4/10 of the page) :
    Colorado County, Texas Obituaries - P

You might be able to find a few more listings for him on FamilySearch.org. You have his full name, his D.O.B. & D.O.D., wife's name, his occupation, he was a veteran, etc.

GOOD LUCK !!!

Robin Hickman
    "Your Friendly Neighborhood Flag Man"
    Eugene, Oregon, USA

6. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Hello!

To find anything out about "W.L. Pendergraft", you might want to start looking in the neighborhood of Colorado County, Texas.
    A "W.L. Pendergraft" is mentioned as a pallbearer for R. Lee Hastedt in the February 17th, 1953 obituary of the "Colorado County Citizen" (page 1).

Colorado County, TX Obituaries - Hastedt

William L. Pendergraft was a newpaper editor in Columbus, Colorado County, Texas. He was born on July 10, 1890 in Bowie, Texas, and he died on April 11th, 1960 in Houston. He was buried in Columbus, TX.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/JF4Y-TF6

You can find the obituary for William Lewis Pendergraft HERE (in the center column: scroll down about 4/10 of the page) :

=http://www.coloradocountyhistory.org/obits/p/pa-pl.htm#Pendergraft, William Lewis

You might be able to find a few more listings for him on FamilySearch.org since you now have his full name, his D.O.B. & D.O.D., wife's name, his occupation, he was a veteran, civic & fratenal organizations, etc.

GOOD LUCK !!!

Robin Hickman
    "Your Friendly Neighborhood Flag Man"
    Eugene, Oregon, USA