Correct State of to national flags

Discussion in 'Other US Flag Etiquette' started by pcalandra, Sep 30, 2009.

1. pcalandra

pcalandra New Member

Our Color Guard is presenting the Colors at an event where both the United States and Canadian national anthems are being done. What is the correct position of each flag during the anthems? Should both flags maintain a position of attention or should each flag dip during each others anthems?

2. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Greetings, pcalandra!

Generally, the only time that national flags are ever dipped is when ships exchange courtesies at sea. On land, the US flag is never dipped for any reason. I don't recall offhand if Canadian flag etiquette says the same thing, but it would probably be best to follow the same rule.

During the playing of the anthems, the color bearers should display the flags in the carry position, and the other members of the Color Guard should present arms. The procedures for this were discussed in this thread:

http://www.usa-flag-site.org/forum/correct-position-hold-flag-flag-lines-5169.html

I hope this answers your question -- again, welcome!

Peter Ansoff

3. pcalandra

pcalandra New Member

Peter, thanks for the info. This is our first opportunity to do the colors at a National Hockey League game and we don't want to screw this up. I thought that we never dipped our national colors but wasn't sure because they do both the Canadian and US anthems here. I think we will follow your advise and keep both flags in a carry position. Again thanks

4. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Hello, pcalandra ! :D

Welcome to the USA-Flag-Site Forums !

I was wondering if the arena hosts NHL games on a "regular" basis? IF they do, perhaps they have a "regular" procedure for presenting both of the Nation's Colors during the playing of their respective National Anthems? It wouldn't hurt to ask would it?

The only thing that I think I might add here is IF you're going to be using the "Carry" position to present the Flags, perhaps the Color Bearer who is carrying the Flag of the nation whose anthem is about to be played should step "out front" two or three paces for the anthem. At the end of the anthem, they can step back "in line" and the other Color Bearer can step out front two or three paces for the other anthem. The idea is to better emphasize the Flag of the nation whose anthem is being played.

BTW : WHEN & WHERE will the hockey game take place?

Other than that, watch your step while on the ice and Good Luck !!!

Thank You for bringing your Flag-related question the our Forums !

Robin Hickman

PS. If you have anybody taking pictures of the presentation of the Colors and Anthems, perhaps you can post a few of them here after the game???

5. pcalandra

pcalandra New Member

Thanks Robin,
    Game is this Saturday HSBC Arena Buffalo, NY
    Season opener for the Buffalo Sabres

6. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Hi, pcalandra ! :D

Thanx for the gametime info. Although I won't get to watch you folks do your "Flag Thang" on TV, maybe there will others here who will.

Hope you all get to practice your movements well enough ahead of time so that it will be "automatic" and you won't have to consciously "think" your way through it (that's when the most boo-boo's occur!).

And if all goes well, and you're so inclined, maybe we'll all get to see some pictures in this thread this Sunday of you folks "at work" !!! :eek:

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE !!! :D

Robin