Crepe 48 Star Flag

Discussion in 'Flag Identification and Collecting' started by Lola, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Lola

Lola New Member

My grandfather has come across a 48 starred flag made of crepe fabric. He has never seen a flag made of this material and is wondering if it's anything unique or special. The flag belonged to a fellow member of his VFW post who recently passed away. The flag is being donated to their town museum and they want to make sure they include any special information when it is displayed.

If anyone knows anything about the history of Crepe flags please share your knowledge or resources with me.

Thank you.

2. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

1) What size is the flag? 2) Is it mounted to a stick/pole/staff? 3) Is there any identifying info printed on or attached to the flag?

3. Lola

Lola New Member

Sorry it took so long but here's the details.

Size: approx. 32"x21" Blue field is approx. 14.5"x11"

There are no tags, no identifying marks, no places where it looks like a tag would have been. There is no wording, no gromets, nothing to hang it. He thinks it was carpet tacked to a board on for the previous owner's own personal display.

Unique Attributes:
    The outer hem is very tiny, approx. 1/8" "dish towel hem" (rolled under and stiched). The entire hem is in red thread, even over the blue field. The really cool part is that the stripes aren't seemed together. The flag is constructed of one solid piece of silkish crepe (the fabric is not fluffy with big puckers, but medium wieght with SMALL delicate textures). The blue field and red stripes are printed on, but the ink goes all the way through the fabric and is as dark on the back as the front. It was not printed two sided though, the registration from to back is absolutely flawless, and the lines are super crisp, the ink did not bleed into the white stripes or stars (which are the actual color of the fabric). The only registration flaw is that the red stripes don't butt up against the blue field, there's a small gap. It's unlike anything I've ever seen. I'm a screen printer and this was definitely not the technique used.

Thanks in advance for your help!

4. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

Dennison paper products made crepe flags in the early 20th C. The few crepe flags on sticks that I have range in size from 3 inches long to 10 inches long. They are made so as to look like they are 'waving' in a breeze, or hanging from the pole at an angle. I would not be at all surprised if Dennison made larger crepe flags as temporary decorations as well. They were probably made in the 1920's or 30's as the United States Flag Code now prohibits the temporary nature of crepe flags.

5. Lola

Lola New Member

Thanks for the response but I'm not sure it quite applies in this case. This flag is a crepe fabric, not paper. The only reference to crepe fabric on flags I've been able to find is black crepe edges added to flags when Lincoln died. But, this isn't black either. Thanks though.

6. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

I have never seen a flag made of crepe fabric, only crepe paper. Do you have a close up photo so we can see what the material looks like?