Custom Printed Flag

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Flag Discussion' started by Bug Man, Jan 14, 2016.

1. Bug Man

Bug Man New Member

Hi all! I hope this message finds you well!

First off, AWESOME forum! Everyone here seems really helpful and knowledgeable when it comes to the American Flag. I have learned SO MUCH reading through this forum, great stuff.

I have a question for anyone who has had a custom flag made. This is what I have in mind:

1) 3x5'

2) Light weight and durable. I intend on waving this flag vigorously during sporting events. I'm leaning toward 100-150 Denier SolarMax 6.6 Nylon, but am flexible depending on feedback.

3) Attachment type grommet AND sleeve. Most times I can get into a stadium with my three section conduit PVC poles with drilled holes for grommet attaching, but sometimes they are rejected and I need to borrow a PVC pole without drilled holes already in the stadium so a sleeve is needed. If I have to choose between the two (grommet/sleeve), which is most durable?

4) Single sided.

5) Quality print and construction.

A little more on #2. I've been reading through this forum and websites that sell flags, it seems Polyester 200 Denier is the most popular available with forums mentioning DuPont SolarMax 6.6 Nylon 200 Denier is the best for flying in the lightest breeze and durability (but more difficult to find custom flag makers). I currently have Polyester 200 Denier which seems to hold colors better, but takes more effort to wave and also gets heavy in a rain. I have a Polyester 150 Denier which waves much better (lighter material), holds less water but isn't as vibrant (due to less material/transparent?). This is where I get confused. I'm reading through all this info and get mixed results. Some people say their Polyester flags flutter in light breeze better than their Nylon flags, but they don't clarify the flag weight (Denier).

6) Which material will fly best in light breeze if Denier weight is equal?

And finally depending on the possible responses...

7) Any recommendations on a good custom flag maker? So far, almost everyone I've written either doesn't respond or only works with Polyester.

Thanks in advance!

Jerry

2. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Hello, Bug Man (Jerry)!

Welcome to the USA-FLAG-SITE Forum!

Best all-around (versatile) flag material is 200-D (denier) SolarMax Nylon.

Grommets: solid brass, size #1 or #2 (no larger).

Get several different sizes of "NeverFurl" rotating flag-rings so you can attach your Flag to whatever diameter flagpole is available (¾", 1", 1½", and 2" - unfortunately, they don't make a 1¼" size).

http://www.NeverFurl.com

Best "custom" flag-makers? There are a great many of them scattered throughout the country, so you might want to pick one that is closest to home. The best one I know is about 2,000 miles away from where I live (Oregon): Arkansas Flag & Banner in Little Rock, Arkansas.

http://www.FlagAndBanner.com/Custom_Showroom/Custom_Flags_Banners.asp

Good Luck & Happy Flag Hunting!

Thank you for bringing your Flag-related question to our Forum!

Robin Hickman
    "Your Friendly Neighborhood Flag Man"
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.

3. Bug Man

Bug Man New Member

Thanks for the helpful response and links Robin! One of my favorite threads in this forum is one you help another member out (usa-flag-site.org/forum/threads/looking-to-buy-my-first-flag-have-many-questions.10545/#post-34737) - GREAT responses in that one!

I'm in Seattle, but will order a flag from the East Coast if they make quality flags.

Do you (or anyone else) know if a 200-D SolarMax Nylon has the same flying ability as a 200-D Polyester flag? Right now I have a couple 200-D Polyester flags, but am under the impression 200-D SolarMax Nylon is lighter/flies better/easier to wave. If they are equal in flying performance I have no reason to get SM Nylon.

I saw your YouTube/FB vids, now I know why you're the Flag Man!

EDIT: 1-15-16

I just received my Annin US Flag made of Nyl-Glo 200-Denier, compared to my Polyester 200-D flags it feels heavier and less flyable in light breezes. I know the Annin US Flag has embroidered stars and sewn stripes, but I am referring to the nylon material. Maybe my polyester flags feel more flyable because they have been used/conditioned already which softened the fabric?

My search for a flag material that will fly in the lightest wind continues.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
  4. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Hello, again, Bug Man (Jerry)!

"Denier" refers to the weight of the fabric. so one would assume the fabrics of the same size and "denier" would weigh the same.

I have never run across polyester Flags made of 200 denier polyester (that I know of). I have owned 75-D, 90-D, 100-D, and 150-D ("Super-Polyester") polyester Flags, ALL of which were IMPORTED Flags (and when you hold them up you can see THROUGH them because they're SO thin!). I have handled a number of U.S.-made 3'x5' printed polyester American Flags made by Annin ("Premium"), Valley Forge ("Star-Lite"), and DETTRA ("Poly-Wear"). They all seem to be in the 150-D weight class. It's hard telling now because they're all about 20-25 years old, and have been flown many times as part of a community "holiday" Flag-flying service. All of these Flags that I've mentioned are made of a single ply of polyester cloth (sheeting) and, as such, are just about the cheapest material that Flags can be made of.

Over the past couple of years, I've noticed that some U.S manufacturers have started making Flags of "knitted" polyester. Valley Forge ("Ultra-Knit") and Emerson Flag ("Satin Polyester") are two that come to mind. The knitted polyester Flags are heavier than their "sheeting" cousins and have a somewhat "liquid" feel to them. "Liquid" as in supple and flowing. I have 20-25 of the Emerson "Satin Polyester" 3'x5' American Flags and they weigh approximately the same as Annin's printed nylon 200-D "Sun-Glo" Flags. I say "approximately" because I hefted both models in my hands and judged them to be pretty close in weight.

Good Luck with your search!

Robin Hickman
    ("Your Friendly Neighborhood Flag Man")
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.

5. Josh Aron

Josh Aron New Member

I would suggest trying The Flag Makers. They helped me out with the design. The customer support is really good also.

6. superanas786

superanas786 New Member

I agree with Josh Aron . They're tool is great! Also they will deliver you flag immediately