Cutting the Colors?

Discussion in 'US Flag Display' started by Marta:), Jun 30, 2009.

1. Marta:)

Marta:) New Member

I have been told but can not find documentation regarding "Cutting the Colors" when posted in the front of a meeting. Is this really a code or just a popular legend that they should not cut between flags posted at the front of the room?

I was taught they weren't supposed to "cut" between the flag and podium or another flag also posted. Please help me clear this up. Thanks in advance.

2. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Hi, Marta:) ! :D

Welcome to the USA-Flag-Site Forums !

QUOTE : "I have been told but can not find documentation regarding "Cutting the Colors" when posted in the front of a meeting. Is this really a code or just a popular legend that they should not cut between flags posted at the front of the room? I was taught they weren't supposed to "cut" between the flag and podium or another flag also posted. Please help me clear this up. Thanks in advance."

I don't know about, and can't speak for, the other members here, but I have never heard of such a term!

Going back 40 or 50 years or so, I've heard of "cutting in line", "cutting to the chase" (make a long story short), "cutting class" (AKA: "ditching"), "cutting up" (goofing off, usually in class also), "cutting out" (leaving), "cutting a rug" (dancing), and, of course, "CUTTING THE CHEESE" (I don't think I need to explain THAT one!), BUT... I have NEVER heard of "Cutting the Colors".

Since I've never heard of the term, then it shouldn't surprise you that I don't know where you might be able to find "documentation" about it!

Have you tried Googling, "Cutting the Colors" ???

"Cutting the Colors" - Google Search
    { http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=%22Cutting+the+Colors%22&btnG=Google+Search }

There Are About 58 Pages AND The FIRST Page Is THIS One :eek: :
    http://www.usa-flag-site.org/forum/cutting-the-colors-6109.html

So..... Would you be willing to say that IF Google can't find it, then maybe it is nothing more than some kind of "urban myth"?

Does this help any?

Robin "Cutting A Dashing Figure" Hickman

3. Marta:)

Marta:) New Member

I suppose it does help - I can see I won't be brave enough to ask a question here again. Thanks anyway!

4. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

Marta,
    Please don't go away!! I think Robin is saying that he has never heard of the term "cutting the colors." I have been studying the American Flag for nearly 40 years and I haven't heard that term either. What does it mean??

Sincerely,

Nick Artimovich

5. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Hi, Marta:) !

I'M SORRY !!! :(

I did NOT mean to offend you or scare you away !!! :eek:

It's just that I've heard a LOT of other phrases that contain the words "cut" or "cutting" over the past five decades but I have never heard of the term, "cutting the colors" !!!

I actually DID try "Googling" the term, "cutting the colors", and the very first page on the returned results was THIS thread !!!

PLEASE come back and let us know how YOU came across the term !

I apologize for upsetting you !

Robin Hickman