day flags?

Discussion in 'American Flag History' started by andrewstan, Mar 12, 2014.

1. andrewstan

andrewstan New Member

Can you tell me the rules/law concerning flying the flag at day?
    [​IMG]

2. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Hello, andrewstan, and welcome to the USA-Flag-Site Forums!!!

The answer to your question can be found in Section 6 of the "U.S. Flag Code" (U.S. Code, Title 4, Chapter 1 - The Flag, §6. "Time And Occasions For Display", Sub-Section a.)

"a. It is the universal custom to display the flag only from sunrise to sunset on buildings and on stationary flagstaffs in the open. However, when a patriotic effect is desired, the flag may be displayed twenty-four hours a day if properly illuminated during the hours of darkness."

You may find the entire "Flag Code" HERE :

http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/flagcode.htm

Many businesses will hoist their Flag(s) when they first open in the morning and then strike them when they close for the day. And when that is the case, they don't fly their Flag(s) at all when they are closed for business on weekends or holidays.

Most, if not all, public schools here in the Eugene-Springfield area (Oregon) fly their Flags on school days by hoisting them at the start of the school day and stike them at the end of the school day.

For me, personally, I put out my Flags first thing in the morning, let them fly all day, then take them down in the evening. If I'm going to be away from the house in the afternoon and don't expext to get back home until after dark, I sometimes take them down before I go or turn on the porchlight (with its super bright bulb) to illuminate them, depending on how late I'll be, the weather, etc.

I hope this helps to clarify thing for you! Thank You for bringing your Flag-related question to our Forums!

Robin Hickman
    "Your Friendly Neighborhood Flag Man"
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.