Difference between nautical and regular US Flag

Discussion in 'US Flag Specs and Design' started by LFRyder, May 28, 2010.

1. LFRyder

LFRyder New Member

I am looking to order some American flags for a couple of our fishing boats. I was looking at ordering the following nylon flag:

American Flag BeaconĀ® Nylon 2'x3' at American Flags for Sale

My question is that I have also seen many "nautical" american flags that are made from nylon. To me, I can't see much of a difference between the regular nylon flag and these more expensive nautical flags. Does anyone know if there are specific flags for these "nautical" flags? These will be on offshore boats that see 30-50 mph winds on most normal days. Would these be a good choice? Sorry for such a simple question, but I can't find much of an answer anywhere else. Thanks guys

2. csaanv

csaanv Member

Hi LFRyder,

There are different fabric grades of nylon in terms of thickness, the type of thread and how it is woven together. See chart below from a online flag store in Canada for an example. Most nylon flags are of the 200 denier type. The poly flags are usually printed on very cheap made in China polyester.
    Screen shot 2010-05-30 at 5.59.42 PM.jpg

3. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

Dear LFRyder:
    The ad you linked to shows that the manufacturer is "Carrot-Top Industries." I have been collecting flags for over 40 years and I have never heard of Carrot Top. I'd stick with Annin, Valley Forge, Chicago Flag, or one of the other mainline US flagmakers. One trick to make your flag last longer: sew a 4 to 6 inch strip of white nylon net to the fly end of your flag- that net will be nearly invisible when the boat is in motion but it will reduce the whipping action on the fly corners of the flag itself.

Nick

4. LFRyder

LFRyder New Member

Thanks everyone for your replies. I appreciate the help. I believe i will be taking your advice NAVA on the nylon net idea. My made in America polyester flag will be here this week.

5. csaanv

csaanv Member

Maybe the printing was done in the US but the polyester and ink are made in China.