Direction of Eagle on New Flag Pole

Discussion in 'Flag Poles' started by USAFlags, Jun 8, 2006.

1. USAFlags

USAFlags Administrator Staff Member

Direction of Eagle on Flag Pole...

2. tedbriseno

tedbriseno New Member

Does the eagle itself on top of the pole have a significance?
    What does the dome or ball on top of the pole mean?
    How about the spear or any other item placed on top of the pole mean?
    What does the Code say about these?

3. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

Eagles on top of outdoor flagpoles are not recommended regardless of the direction they face as the flag could snag on the wings and get torn. Best to use the round ball or flat truck, and keep the eagles on the indoor staff. Nick

4. tedbriseno

tedbriseno New Member

It is my understanding that only the flag of the president should have an eagle on top. Is this true?
    Also, the gold ball has a seperate meaning or use for general purposes and the spear on top has a military or wartime meaning, maybe?
    Any protocol on any of this?

5. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

It is my understanding that only the flag of the president should have an eagle on top. Is this true? . . . and the spear on top has a military or wartime meaning, maybe? Any protocol on any of this?

Well, sort of. Each of the armed forces has its own regulations about finials. The US Army regulation (AR840-10) specifies that the eagle shall only be used for the president; however, in practice it's also used for other senior officials. In the Navy, it's used above a boat flag when a senior official is embarked. There's a good summary here:

Finials and Fringe

Also, the gold ball has a seperate meaning . . .

The gold (or silver) ball is generic as far as I know. I've had people try to tell me that the purpose of the ball is to prevent birds from alighting on the flagpole. If that was the intent, it obviously doesn't work very well, because I see birds sitting atop flagpole balls all the time!

As has has been pointed out elsewhere on this board, eagle finials are not recommended for outdoor flags, because the flag tends to get snagged and torn on the eagle wings.

Peter Ansoff

6. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

How about the spear or any other item placed on top of the pole mean?

Other than military regulations (which are discussed earlier in this thread), flagpole finials are pretty much generic. There are, however, two states that specify specific finials for their state flags. Maryland's finial is a heraldic "bottony cross," and Kentucky's is a cardinal bird.

Peter Ansoff

7. american_flag_uk

american_flag_uk Moderator

if i had a flagpole outside i dont think id have an eagle on it at all... just a ball.... i wouldent like my flag to get snagged by the eagle wings