Display of Advertising in proximity to the American Flag

Discussion in 'US Flag Display' started by dearly, Nov 26, 2013.

1. dearly

dearly New Member

I am new to this forum and need a little help right away.

I am the Director of Recreation and Athletic Facilities at a university. In our basketball pavilion, our marketing dept wants to sell advertising space on a cement colum that holds the US Flag and our State Flag.

I know that the flag may not be used for advertising, and that no other Flag may be superior to it when on a staff or displayed on a wall.

Is there any ruling / accepted practice or guidance about advertising and proximity to the US Flag?

I have attached a picture of the Flag and the space that they want to allow an advertising banner to be afixed to the colum. The NCAA Banner was not considered commercial marketing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

David Early Reese Court Flag Pillar.jpg Reese Court Flag Pillar.jpg
  2. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

Hello Mr. Early and welcome to the USA Flag Forum.

I see no great objection to using that column for advertising any more than I would object to the other ad banners on the walls.

Attaching a sign to the flagstaff itself would cause me heartburn, however. The nature of that "gaff" type of flagstaff indicates a distinct separation of the flagpole from whatever it is affixed to.

By the way, your photos show that the flag under the USA flag needs to be re-designed - the central emblem is nearly totally obscured by the folds of the flag. It could be the flag of Washington State, or the national flag of Libya under Muammar Qadaffi.

It is a pity that more vexillologists do not run for elected office.

Columbia Maryland