display of large flag

Discussion in 'Flag Identification and Collecting' started by beersnw27, Oct 5, 2009.

1. beersnw27

beersnw27 New Member

I just recently acquired a large (6 x 12) 45 star flag and I am having trouble figuring out the best way to display it because of its large size, any suggestions?

2. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

"I just recently acquired a large (6 x 12) 45 star flag and I am having trouble figuring out the best way to display it because of its large size, any suggestions?"
    That pretty much depends on how much room you have to display it. Unless you live alone or have a spouse/partner who is as crazy about flags as you are, displaying a 12-foot long flag flat against a wall is out of the question as it will just dominate whatever room it is in. If you have a very large home, or own a business with large open spaces then the flag may suspended vertically from the rafters or ceiling to good effect. If you wanted to frame the flag you could save some $$$ by 'accordion folding' the fly half of the flag as it is stitched to a background, reducing the size of the frame to about 7x8. However the effort to prepare the flag and framing it will still likely cost a couple thousand dollars for such a huge flag, and that would be about five to ten times the value of the flag itself (unless, of course, the flag comes with period documentation that ties it to some important event or person.)

3. Hmm Yes I see the problem you have there!. The largest wall in my home is 13 ft by 7ft 7, so it would fit in my house... the problem I would forsee would be HOW to attach the flag to the wall, I mean, its going to be rather heavy, and want to pull on anything its attached to.

When I lived at my parents house I came up with a novel way attaching a large flag to my bedroom wall.
    I got Bulldog clips (these things) >>>

[​IMG]

and hooked a U shaped nail through one of the handles, and then nailed it into the wall- then just clipped the flag on using the clips.. This did not damage my flag, and it looked pretty good!

On that particular wall, I don't have a big flag like that up though, I have a 5x3ft and 3x5 ft flag on the wall, which are both taped up with clear tape.

If you dont have a wall big enough, you could fold the flag in half lengthways, and then clip it up