Display of State Flag without U.S. Flag

Discussion in 'Other US Flag Etiquette' started by Phil Olsen, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Phil Olsen

Phil Olsen New Member

I am concerned about the practice of not flying the U.S. flag over certain historic sites like the Alamo and the Hawaiian Palace in Honolulu, both claimed as important non-American historic sites but where American heroes served, died, and sacrificed.

Such places should unquestionably be places of honor for the display of the American flag on a staff above all others, which is not current practice, according to the Hawaii State Department of Land and Natural Resources, curators and guardians of the Hawaiian Palace in Honolulu, former Capitol of the State of Hawaii.

Phil Olsen

2. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Hi, Phil -- welcome!

I suspect that a lot of Hawaiians would disagree with the "unquestionably" part of your comment. After all, the Iolani Palace was the home of the Hawaiian royal family, which was overthrown in a coup in 1898 with at least some measure of US support. The US Congress actually passed legislation in 1993 apologizing for the USA's role.

As I'm sure you know, the present Hawaiian state flag was originally the national flag of the Kingdom of Hawaii. It certainly seems appropriate to fly it over the former palace of the Kingdom's rulers. The palace is not a federal installation, and there is no particular reason why the US flag should be flown there.

Best regards,

Peter Ansoff